Role: Product Innovation Manager (Emerging Challenges), P-4, #102949 FT in MSFIC, UNICEF Supply Division, CPH, Denmark
Job Number: 517565 | Vacancy Link
Work Type: Fixed Term Staff
Purpose for the job:
The Product Innovation Manager (Emerging Challenges) will be responsible for develop shaping and executing a strategy to drive R&D and scale of products needed address the needs of children within the following areas of responsibility: water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH), Education, and Assistive Technology products and potentially in other areas beyond where UNICEF does not currently have active programming or product innovation efforts. As part of this, the Product Innovation Manager will have responsibility for a team of Project Managers, each responsible for driving one or more Product Innovation Projects, and ensure a balanced portfolio of projects, considering the overall goals. Importantly, UNICEF neither develops or invests in development of products. Rather, UNICEF uses its convening, influencing and procurement power, at times combined with targeted financing (e.g. in the form of market guarantees), to incentivize R&D within the spaces of the respective projects. The Product Innovation Manager will need to have a balanced understanding of strategy/process, markets interventions/market shaping as well as how to manage innovation projects within the development space. Ultimately, the goal of the position is to drive scale of a portfolio of products that are either not available or underutilized that are fit for purpose, and provide value for money to improve the lives of children and young people.
The key functions/accountabilities of this position are:
1. Responsibility for further substantiating and executing on the strategy to drive R&D and scale of products for the respective areas, within the overall Products & Markets futures strategy.
- Identify bottlenecks and screen the market for products that can help address these bottlenecks.
- Evaluate how to best leverage UNICEF core capabilities towards making a difference for children, within the framework of Product Innovation.
- Identify and drive partnerships for the projects.
- Oversee and develop Target Product Profiles, specifications and standards, technical guidance and protocols as well as project proposals.
2. Management of a portfolio of Product Innovation Projects within the areas of WASH, education, and assistive technology.
- Manage a team of project managers driving a series of product innovation projects.
- Ensure a portfolio perspective on the combined group of projects, and help drive decisions to achieve balance in the portfolio.
- Drive closure of projects that don’t have an attractive risk/impact ratio.
- Help the project managers scope their projects to achieve maximum impact, and make project plans accordingly
- Identify new projects as per what the team can undertake.
- Extensive management of both internal and external stakeholders, including donors, other UN partners, suppliers/developers or country governments.
- Drive a ‘business mindset’ in how to think about projects in terms of ensuring development of business cases, cost effectiveness analysis, impact assessments and scaling strategies for all strategies.
- Participate on and chair Advisory Committees and boards for innovation projects.
- Ensure compliance against fundamental principles of public procurement.
3. Generation and management of project funds
- Help fundraise for projects
- Monitor the overall allocation and disbursement of project funds, making sure that funds are properly coordinated, monitored and liquidated.
- Take appropriate actions to optimize use of funds.
4. Any other duties or assignments as requested by the supervisor.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
A completed advanced university degree (Master’s Degree) in one of the following areas: Engineering, Social Sciences, Business Studies, or relevant field is required.
A completed 1st university degree (Bachelor’s degree) and 10 years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of advanced degree (Master’s).
Minimum 8 years of progressive relevant professional experience in business development, product innovation, or similar is required.
Proficiency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN language is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
Our core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
In addition, the following functional competencies will be required for these positions:
- Planning and Organising (III)
- Persuading and Influencing (II)
- Relating and Networking (II)
- Applying Technical Expertise (III)
- Leading and Supervising (II)
To view our competency framework, please click here: https://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/UNICEF_Competencies.pdf
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
Please be informed that all applications to UNICEF are handled via UNICEF’s online recruiting system. You can apply to the above position by creating your profile, and application at our web site: http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/index.php. Kindly note that all applications should be in English and that applications outside of the online recruiting system will not be accepted. Kindly also note that diversity and gender balance are factors in the selection process.
Visit us at www.unicef.org/supply/
Opening Date Fri Nov 02 2018 04:00:00 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time) Romance Standard Time
Closing Date Sun Nov 18 2018 17:55:00 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)