Job Number: 510895 | Vacancy Link
Work Type: Consultancy
Duration: 60 days over a period of 6 months.
Open to international candidates only
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child
UNICEF has learned through experience that problems that go unmeasured often go unsolved. We believe that consistent, credible, real-time data about children’s situations are critical to the improvement of their lives – and indispensable to realizing the rights of every child. Subsequently, UNICEF Malawi has utilized mobile-based monitoring platforms to collect real-time data from schools and health facilities.
However, it’s important to go beyond the exercise of data collection and ensure that the right data are packaged and delivered in the right hands at the right time. Timely and visual reporting of data is essential so decisions can be better informed, more equitable, and more likely to protect children’s rights. Hence, UNICEF Malawi is looking for a Data Visualization Consultant who can leverage innovative design to transform real-time data into impactful reports that drive results for children in the country.
How can you make a difference?
The Data Visualization Consultant will work towards strengthening UNICEF Malawi’s ability to turn text and raw data – generated from mobile-based, real-time monitoring platforms (RapidPro) – into impactful visualization representations and action-oriented dashboards. S/he will design and produce data visuals that tell clear, concise stories and management insights that can be intuitively interpreted. For the target audience (e.g. decision-makers within UNICEF, government and district facilities), this means going beyond numbers and statistics to customized use, interpretation, understanding, and clear decision-making. From generating concise data visualization reports (i.e. infographics, charts, diagrams with text) to assisting in the design & development of online interactive dashboards (i.e. mock-ups, wireframes, working prototype), the Consultant will help deliver time-crucial data to drive Education, Nutrition and other sectors’ programming, planning and response.
The candidate needs to be able to take large amounts of information and structure it into aesthetically and technically clear segments and graphics. It will require an ability to communicate complex, abstract concepts using visual and written language.
The Data Viz Consultant will report to the Innovation Specialist and will work collaboratively with education, nutrition, tech4dev, and GIS colleagues to bridge the fields of development programmes, technology, storytelling, design, and data.
– DESK REVIEW: Review currently available information from RapidPro real-time platforms, including raw datasets, existing visual charts and diagrams. Output in excel.
– USER ENGAGEMENT: Map and/or interview target users/audience to obtain feedback, and identify information required for decision-making, in order to better understand their data visualization reporting needs from the RapidPro platforms. Output in document or slide deck.
– DATA VISUALIZATION TEMPLATES: Develop data visualization templates and process/system for Education and Nutrition Sections.
– ONGOING WEEKLY DATA VISUALIZATION SUPPORT: Support Education and Nutrition Sections in producing 4 weekly data visual reports.
– DASHBOARD DEVELOPMENT: Support Innovation Specialist and Tech4Dev Consultant in designing the user interface and experience of the online, automated data viz, RapidPro dashboard. Produce mock-ups/wireframes.
– AUTOMATED WEEKLY DATA VISUALIZATION: Ensure smooth production and distribution of automated 5 weekly data visual reports. Iterate accordingly.
– HANDOVER: Produce handover notes and visuals for the Data Analyst and Tech4Dev Consultant.
- BA/BS in Information Design, Graphic Design, Data Visualization, Data Journalism, Statistics, Art or a related social, design or computer science field
- At least 2 years of work experience in data storytelling or applying design to structure data and engage technical and non-technical audience – demonstrated by a portfolio of interactive charts, gifs, dashboards, and websites
- Strong UX/UI design and data visualization skills. Ability to communicate complex quantitative analysis and analytic approaches in a clear, precise, and actionable manner
- Frontend data visualization libraries (D3, HighCharts, Protovis, etc)
- Tableau, GIS and others desirable
- Strong quantitative skills and an analytical, data-driven mindset
- Good communication and interpersonal skills – able to work well in a team environment
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The technical competencies required for this post are….
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
*Posting and application portal for this job on unicef.org can only be accessed during the application period
Opening Date Tue Feb 13 2018 00:00:00 GMT-0500 (EST) South Africa Standard Time
Closing Date Mon Feb 26 2018 10:00:00 GMT-0500 (EST)