Job Number: 509479 | Vacancy Link
Locations: Headquarters Locations: United States of America
Work Type: Consultancy
Duration: 11.5 months
Duty Station: New York (UNICEF HQ)
Level: Individual contract (equivalent to P2)
UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children’s rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world.
UNICEF has been innovating for children for 70 years. Innovations support the organization’s 135+ country offices in finding solutions for the world’s most vulnerable children. The UNICEF innovation work includes both policy and practice of innovation in UNICEF, and the larger UN. Innovation in UNICEF is defined as doing something new or different that adds value. Innovation is a cross-sectoral function that enhances programme and development effectiveness as well as management and is guided in all contexts by UNICEF’s Innovation Principles (http://www.unicefstories.org/principles/). UNICEF is engaged in testing and scaling up new partnerships, technologies, and collaborations in some of the world’s most difficult operating environments.
We are a small team of technologists and creatives in UNICEF who develop, prototype and scale new technologies. Our team has built products with millions of active users, and has had more failures than we can count. We’re a group of people trying to fix huge global problems and we know that we can’t do it alone. We are looking for someone to work across UNICEF’s 135 country offices and 30+ National Committees to help us build innovation partnerships with the private sector, government, and foundations.
In January 2016, the UNICEF established the Office of Innovation in order to strengthen its innovation functions and leverage the increasing opportunities across the organization. The Office of Innovation unites:
- The Global Innovation Centre (GIC): established in 2014, and focusing on Scale Up which looks at expanding the application of proven solutions from one to several countries and regions by UNICEF and partners
- Ventures which looks at investing in new solutions with a 0-2 year horizon
- Futures: focusing on what is coming in the 2-5 year horizon and works with big tech partners
You’re a superior organizer and communicator and are obsessively optimizing ways your team can work together. You can see the big picture but also follow up on the details. You understand the implications of technology’s growth into every part of our lives. You occasionally wake up worried about killer robots and are interested in how mobile phones, big data, and blockchain can transform the world of international development. You have a firm handle on and interest in international relations, and a keen sense of how a large organization works internally and outside with others.
PURPOSE OF THE APPOINTMENT / MAIN ACTIVITIES
UNICEF is seeking to hire a consultant in the New York office to assist in the coordination and management of the Office of Innovation partnerships pipeline.
Under the supervision of the Partnerships Lead, the consultant will be responsible for:
- Maintain the team’s partnerships management system in Trello and Google Drive – including keeping track of key partnership contacts and leads
- Keep project materials and partnership asks up to date. Work with project leads in adhering to standard templates and answering key partnership questions.
- Facilitate internal partnership meetings
- Follow up on all due diligence processes for prospective partners, and become the focal point for corporate research on prospective partners – primarily using UNICEF’s Salesforce system
- Provide regular updates on the team’s partnership pipeline and partners we are pursuing
- Become the partnerships focal point for the Ventures team
- Prepare and or contribute to comprehensive and substantive proposals, partnership agreements, analyses, background notes, or statistics
- Represent the Partnerships team in meetings with the PFP, National Committee, and partners
- Provide regular reports on partnership activities to the Innovation Management Team, project leads, and Natcoms
- Monthly payment, based on monthly tasks and progress reports, approved upon monthly review with supervisor.
- Consultant is responsible for his own health insurance
- Consultant is eligible for standard DSA for all work-related travel
- Consultants are responsible for assuming costs for obtaining visas and travel insurance
- Consultant is eligible for roundtrip airfare to and from the duty station at the beginning and end of the assignment.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience in one of the following fields: public and/or private sector partnerships, communications, social sciences communication, public relations, business administration and management.
- At least two (2) years of progressively responsible experience in partnerships/project management, and a track record of organizing and managing partnerships between the technology sector and development/non-profit organizations – exposure to fundraising and partnerships management in the United Nation a huge plus
- Demonstrated planning, communication, fundraising and very strong writing and editing skills
- Capacity to prioritise and manage a diverse range of partners, projects and activities
- Must be a natural project manager – keeping resources and conversations organized a requirement
- Familiarity with UNICEF’s Innovation work an asset
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED FOR THE ASSIGNMENT
- Expert user of Trello; must be comfortable managing conversations through Slack, WhatsApp, and Skype (sometimes all at the same time!)
- Familiarity with Salesforce an asset
- Experience working with UNICEF National Committees and/or PFP a major plus
Fluency in English required. Competence in another UN language – especially French or Spanish – preferred.
Applications must include:
- Cover letter,
Please indicate your ability, availability and monthly rate (in US$) to undertake the terms of reference above. Applications submitted without a monthly rate will not be considered.
Closing Date: 08 Jan 2018
*Posting and application portal for this job on unicef.org can only be accessed during the application period.