Job Opportunity: Senior Digital Manager, Office of Innovation
Job Number: 508707 | Vacancy Link
Work Type: Consultancy
Duration: 11.5 Months
Duty Station: Copenhagen
Level: Individual contract (equivalent to P4)
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations, and governments.
UNICEF’s Office of Innovation Scale team is functioning primarily through UNICEF’s Global Innovation Centre (GIC) and identifies proven solutions with the potential to be implemented at national scale in multiple countries. The GIC provides the leadership and technical support to deploy and scale these up, expanding their application by UNICEF and others from one to several countries and regions, specifically in the following main areas: real-time information, youth engagement, and access to information and infrastructure
In 2011 UNICEF launched its flagship youth engagement tool U-Report in Uganda (www.ureport.ug). Since then, U-Report has expanded to 39 countries with over 4,000,000 young people registered and interacting via SMS and Twitter. The system enables young people and community members to join the system to become U-Reporters and then speak out on issues they care about
In 2014, UNICEF launched a new solutions platform called RapidPro. RapidPro is the platform that powers U-Report across the majority of countries where it exists. Based on the RapidPro platform young people can now join U-Report from anywhere in the world from the U-Report app available globally, via Facebook bot (facebook.com/UReportGlobal) as well as Twitter (@UReportGlobal)
The expansion of the U-Report program throughout Asia, Latin American and globally is a priority for 2017 and onwards.
The key objectives that contribute to U-Report are:
– Scale: Ensure young people find out about the programme and can choose to opt into it.
– Engage U-Reporters: Once U-Reporters have joined ensuring communication is relevant and U-Reporters receive feedback is key.
– Application of crowd-sourced data from U-Report to achieve positive social change.
RapidPro is an open-source platform of applications, one of which is U-Report, that can help governments deliver rapid and vital real-time information and connect communities to lifesaving services. Its flow-based system enables administrators to quickly and intuitively create customized information and response flows to address any substantive area, or to easily reuse existing solutions. Existing solutions cover gathering real-time information and providing life-impacting content on education, immunization, and health systems strengthening, with potentially limitless solutions
U-Report is a mature, youth engagement solution serving more than 4 million young people. There are two models of recruiting U-Reporters: First, through the traditional model of national level deployment, where SMS is a key communication channel. UNICEF and our partners have been using this model since 2011. Second there is now a global U-Report system which is accessible only through digital communication channels (e.g the app, Facebook, Twitter, Viber & Telegram).
How it works:
- Young people sign up through one of four channels by simply:
- Liking a U-Report Facebook page and sending a Facebook message to U-Report through Messenger
- Download and register via the U-Report app
- Sign up through Viber chat
- Once registered U-Reporters receive three types of communications:
- Weekly polls and results on important social/development/emergency issues
- Alerts and life saving information
- One-on-one counseling/advice services on specific issues (e.g. sexual reproductive health, entrepreneurship advice, child rights or legal advice)
- Incoming messages are analyzed, sorted, and displayed in real-time on a dashboard.
- U-Reporters receive feedback and additional information regarding each week’s poll.
- Results are broadcast for U-Reporters and the general public via the U-Report websites (found here: www.ureport.in)
U-Report is now available globally and digitally from any country on Facebook, Twitter, Viber or via the U-Report app. This has changed the way in which U-Report and Global Innovation Center is making a concerted effort to scale this programme through awareness raising, partnerships, paid media and organic social media. 23 countries with U-Report now use Facebook to message young people, and 6 have activated Twitter with more to follow. The digital potential of U-Report continues to expand following the movement of young people online globally.
In order to scale the digital system the Global Innovation Centre (GIC) requires a unique range of expertise to lead the new area of digital scale and engagement best practices and systems to build a centre of unique knowledge for the U-Report project. This encompasses all digital activity setting U-Report up for the future, namely; Digital scale up tactics (paid and organic), building on existing lessons learned with over 300 campaigns already executed, understanding artificial intelligence applications in the digital scale up ecosystem, and building a digital content centre of excellent.
Six months ago GIC invested in a pilot to test our capabilities in meeting digital scale up objectives in what has become known as the U-Report Digital Solution Centre. Half-yearly results are extremely encouraging, over 150,000 people have joined U-Report digitally within that time, however the platform is still nascent and requires expansion building upon early success. This will be run by the Senior Digital Manager to support country office and global platform U-Report scale up. Successful pilot campaigns in Ireland, Latin America and Indonesia as well as other countries planned (Malaysia, Pakistan, Cote d’Ivoire and others) have led to continued demand in the support services initially required
As the demand has grown and a solid foundation of digital learnings has already been established the Global Innovation Centre is looking for a Senior Digital Manager to help take the digital products in place and in development to the next level and reach as many young people as possible in a meaningful and engaging way.
PURPOSE OF THE APPOINTMENT
Advanced digital progression and scale up of the U-Report Global digital platform and Digital Solutions Centre products by:
- Architecting solutions to common digital problems faced by U-Report projects
- Lead the productization of those solutions for digital reliability and scalability at the country office level.
- Head up the newly founded Digital Solution Centre within GIC and create and oversee a portfolio of digital scale up products.
- Globally consolidate learnings from digital promotion of U-Report.
- Promote U-Report internally and externally through publication and high level speaking engagements, including with the private sector.
- Further develop functionality and sophistication of U-Report technology to better serve young people based on their feedback and demands.
In addition this role will support country office scale campaigns by:
- Overseeing all paid digital media campaigns across all digital mediums.
- Proactively expanding Digital Solution Centre offering into new territories.
- Build, manage and evaluate campaign performance using advanced RapidPro techniques.
- Incentivizing digital content creation among country offices.
- Develop marketing materials and collateral outlining products and services offered by Global Innovation Centre in the paid media arena.
- Work with creative resources and/or agencies internally and externally to oversee the creative process for digital advert development.
- Manage Facebook paid media campaigns in multiple languages, countries and regions.
- Develop relationships and manage deliverables of creative agencies.
- Oversee the development of streamlined reporting to UNICEF country offices on digital campaign and content performance.
- Document best practices and lessons learned.
- Decide and Manage objectives, bids and budget caps within online ad buying tools such as Facebook, Twitter, and Demand Side Platforms.
- Moderate stories submitted by U-Reporters through the U-Report App.
- Manage focus groups of young people to collect feedback on U-Report tools and recommendations for future iterations to improve user experience.
- Help promote, maintain and improve the U-Report app.
- Support internal communication of success stories and lessons learned for senior staff.
- Proactively develop partnerships with the private sector and liaise with the Innovation Futures team in the process
- Monthly payment, based on monthly tasks and progress reports, approved upon monthly review with supervisor.
- Consultant is responsible for his own health insurance.
- Consultant is eligible for standard DSA for all work-related travel.
- Consultants are responsible for assuming costs for obtaining visas and travel insurance.
- Consultant is eligible for roundtrip airfare to and from the duty station at the beginning and end of the assignment.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION
- At least 8 years of experience working within media or communications strategy, planning or buying or equivalent.
- Advanced degree, ideally in communications, journalism, or a related field. A first University Degree in a relevant field combined with 2 additional years of professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an Advanced University Degree.
- Experience with a high-level communications campaign across multiple mediums (including social networks and messaging platforms), with national brand recognition.
- Experience working with young brands and driving results online, specifically within Facebook, Twitter or Demand Side Platforms.
- Experience working with RapidPro and proficiency with advanced features like expressions, variables, and functions.
- Experience conducting statistical analysis of raw data, data sets utilizing multiple languages, and data sets collected from multiple differently-designed surveys.
- Experience engaging with political structures, civil society pressure groups, and other channels of national influence.
- Experience working in developing countries and good knowledge of UNICEF’s work.
- Experience working in a team from a variety of cultures.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills with experience in consensus building and in motivating cross-functional teams to meet ambitious project goals and timelines.
- Able to work independently, has sound judgment and strong organizational skills.
- Experience working with a web based platforms
- Experience in creating or managing digital content for young people is a strong plus.
- Experience in maintaining and creating website content.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships;
- Ability to travel, occasionally to remote locations.
Fluency in English. Competence in another UN language preferred.
Applications must include:
- Cover letter,
To view our competency framework, please click here.
Please indicate your ability, availability and daily rate (in US$) to undertake the terms of reference above. Applications submitted without a daily rate will not be considered.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
Closing Date: 21 November 2017
*Posting and application portal for this job on unicef.org can only be accessed during the application period.