Role: User Experience & Interaction Specialist
Duration: 11.5 months
Duty Station: New York Headquarters
Level: Individual contract (equivalent to P3)
Work Type: Consultancy
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection, and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations, and governments.
UNICEF has been innovating for children for more than 70 years. The Office of Innovation in New York supports the organization’s 135+ country offices in finding solutions for the world’s most vulnerable children. The UNICEF innovation work includes both policy and practice of innovation in UNICEF, and the larger UN. UNICEF is engaged in testing and scaling up new partnerships, technologies, and collaborations in some of the world’s most difficult operating environments.
With $11m available in funding for the Innovation Fund, the Office of Innovation is scaling up investments significantly over the course of 2017. We invest in solutions that can impact the lives of the most vulnerable children. We find these solutions clustered around $100 billion industries like emergency and epidemic response, transport & delivery, identity, finance, learning, personal data and related fields.
PURPOSE OF THE APPOINTMENT
We seek a strong self-motivated top-level User experience & Interaction Specialist who can maintain strong design sensibilities even under tight time constraints, who can work with a diverse interdisciplinary team to create a plan of action to best communicate ideas visually and who can maintain clarity in their work while juggling and prioritizing several projects at once. This position will range from project support to owning projects and seeing them through to completion. We seek someone who can work closely with Innovation Fund and Magic Box teams within UNICEF Ventures, but who also can prove they can task manage and follow-through on projects independently. Due to the diversity of the role, the team is looking for a hybrid designer, who can ideally work across various devices and platforms. The candidate should exemplify a strong expertise in user experience and user experience and interaction design, research and consultation for web-based designs, apps, and data information systems, information architecture and systems mapping design. He/she must also be comfortable with coding programmes such as React.js, CSS, HTML and have a good understanding of content management systems (CMS). The candidate should also be familiar other more complex coding systems in order to communicate ideas with the engineers and scientists on the team.
The ideal candidate will be a user experience and interaction professional who has experience with complex systems and who is able to toggle between a number of projects at the same time. The ideal candidate must have a strong sense of UNICEF’s programmes and goals, who expresses a passion for designing for social impact through their portfolio, who has experience communicating easily with a diverse range of staff and who has a knack for extrapolating information from team members that can be translated into simplified and articulate way.
- Work closely and act as the interface between the Innovation Fund Team and developers to continue a healthy evolution and upkeep of the Innovation Fund website and Innovation Fund workflow (ex. onboarding, portfolio and technical management flows)
- Work closely and play a supportive role between the Data Science & Engineering Team and developers to continue a healthy evolution and upkeep of the Magic Box platform.
- Support on maintaining and evolving other products that have digital interface components.
- Supporting the data science team to visually articulate pilot projects in the form of data visualization or information graphics.
- Working with our developers to test new applications which support our internal operations, events and communications with various innovation colleagues.
- Create mockups and wireframes for websites, software, and dashboards for different projects, as necessary and ensure branding guidelines are upheld across the various mediums.
- Produce user requirements, personas, storyboards, scenarios, flowcharts etc to give shape to any preliminary idea.
- Research prototyping tools that can be easily used to enhance user experience and to communicate ideas.
- Monthly payment, based on monthly tasks and progress reports, approved upon monthly review with supervisor.
- Consultant is responsible for his own health insurance
- Consultant is eligible for standard DSA for all work-related travel
- Consultants are responsible for assuming costs for obtaining visas and travel insurance
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION
- Advanced degree in a relevant field or equivalent professional work experience.
- At least 5 years of professional experience in visual communication, interaction design, human-computer interaction, information design and information architecture, media design or related – and proven experience in translating complex ideas into unified storytelling visuals.
- Strong design skills particularly in visual communication design, user experience, visual user interface design and visualization of systems and complex information and structures. Strong knowledge of platforms like Adobe Creative Suite, coding software and data visualization tools
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED FOR THE ASSIGNMENT
- A portfolio which shows strong design work for web and mobile.
- Experience with prototyping tools like Axure, Framer.js etc. This includes the ability to create quick prototypes based on ideas and be able to test it out with various stakeholders in order to create a better user experience.
- Strong familiarity with coding programs (ex. React, D3.js, HTML, CSS). This also includes strong communication skills especially when working with developers.
- Knowledge of capabilities and limitations of web and mobile technologies and ideally some experience that extends beyond-screen based designs.
- Proven capability of working on a project from the concept to the final design package.
- An ability to communicate complex, abstract concepts using both visual, verbal and written language.
- Ability to work with a diverse team in a rapidly-changing work environment: Proven experience working with a diverse team and being able to parse through large amounts of information in order to create synthesized and clear designs.
Additional Experience and Knowledge:
- Familiarity with open-source technology
- Familiarity with development/programming language
- Self-starter and able to time-manage oneself.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Design preparation and production skills
- Ability to work in a team and in a diverse and rapidly-changing work environment
- Experience working within the social impact space
- Knowledge of SMS technology and mobile usage in developing countries and a familiarity with UNICEF Innovation Labs and products is a plus
Fluency in English. Competence in another UN language preferred (where applicable).
HOW TO APPLY
Applications must include:
- Cover letter,
- Portfolio/Work samples
To view our competency framework, please click here.
Please indicate your ability, availability and daily rate (in US$) to undertake the terms of reference above. Applications submitted without a daily rate will not be considered.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
Closing Date: Monday, Aug 28, 2017
*Posting and application portal for this job on unicef.org can only be accessed during the application period.