Job Role: Communications Designer, Office of Innovation
Location: Headquarters New York
Work Type: Consultancy
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations, and governments.
UNICEF has been innovating for children for 70 years. Innovations support the organization’s 135+ country offices in finding solutions for the world’s most vulnerable children. The UNICEF innovation work includes both policy and practice of innovation in UNICEF, and the larger UN. Innovation in UNICEF is defined as “doing something new or different that adds value.” Innovation is a cross-sectoral function that enhances programme and development effectiveness as well as management and is guided in all contexts by UNICEF’s Innovation Principles (http://www.unicefstories.org/principles/). UNICEF is engaged in testing and scaling up new partnerships, technologies, and collaborations in some of the world’s most difficult operating environments.
In January 2016, the UNICEF established the Office of Innovation in order to strengthen its innovation functions and leverage the increasing opportunities across the organization. The Office of Innovation unites:
- The Global Innovation Centre (GIC): established in 2015, and focusing on Scale Up which looks at expanding the application of proven solutions from one to several countries and regions by UNICEF and partners
- Ventures: looks at investing in new solutions with a 0-2 year horizon
- Futures: focusing on what is coming in the 2-5 year horizon and works with big tech partners
PURPOSE OF THE APPOINTMENT
The Office of Innovation seeks a top-level creative who can intake, prioritize and toggle nimbly between multiple projects coming from a geographically dispersed team and who can work tightly with the Interaction & Design Team to execute visually compelling and technically clear outputs for projects. This candidate must have proven experience in being able to take complex and sometimes abstract concepts and visually translate these concepts with clarity and simplicity in ways that are appropriate for the end user.
Due to the diversity of the role, the team is looking for a hybrid designer, who can ideally work across various devices and platforms, who understands both print, exhibition/wayfinding and various digital and web mediums. We also seek someone who may have a strong suit in event design and logistics, who can work well with the Events Lead to conceptualize and produce materials for our 2017-2018 events which will range in scope and size. The ideal candidate will be a visual designer who has experience with complex systems and who is able to toggle between a number of projects at the same time. The ideal candidate must have a strong sense of UNICEF’s programmes and goals, who expresses a passion for designing for social impact through their portfolio, who has experience communicating easily with a diverse range of staff—designers and non-designers alike—and who has a knack for extrapolating information from team members that can be translated into simplified and articulate ways.
- Work hand in hand with the Partnerships, Communications and Events teams and use design to bring about more efficient and clear modes of articulating the work we do so we can leverage new and existing partners and showcase the value of our innovation work. This includes, but is not limited to branding maintenance, updating of team onboarding materials, conducting design sprints for innovation products and the design of assets to support innovation partnerships, communications and events.
- Maintain and update any brand identity guidelines developed for products scaling-up (ex. U-Report, RapidPro and other digital products set to scale), keeping in mind the main UNICEF and UNICEF Innovation brand and strategy.
- Creation of design collateral to support major partnerships – this includes templatizing partnership packages, supporting on partnership-related events needing design and design or art direction of key reports.
- Events support: Work closely with the Events Lead and Partnerships to create collateral for both small and large events. This includes wayfinding systems, exhibition signage, posters and other informational and promotional material including setting up event pages/ websites on platforms like Splashthat. You will also be expected to support on envisioning spaces and events which take place outside of NY, meaning you will need to be able to design for events remotely using only the information provided by the Event Lead (ex. Floor plans, photos, phone meetings with vendors).
- Strategizing and prototyping customized and content-relevant design sprints and design thinking activities to clarify workplans for products in various stages of development from early-stage prototypes to products already scaling and in motion.
- Monthly payment, based on monthly tasks and progress reports, approved upon monthly review with supervisor.
- Consultant is responsible for his own health insurance
- Consultant is eligible for standard DSA for all work-related travel
- Consultants are responsible for assuming costs for obtaining visas and travel insurance
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION
- Degree in a relevant field or equivalent professional work experience.
- At least 2 years of professional experience in graphic design, branding, and layout, information design and information architecture, visual communications, media design, system design or related – and proven experience in translating complex ideas into clear visuals.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED FOR THE ASSIGNMENT
- Strong graphic design skills particularly in layout, presentations, branding, and visualization of systems and complex information and structures. Strong knowledge of design platforms like Adobe Creative Suite, design techniques, software, data visualization.
- Experience in creating and/or managing brands which have scaled up globally.
- Experience in print, digital, UX/UI design, data visualization
- Ability to design effectively using constrained mediums such as Powerpoint.
- Ability to design outside of Adobe Creative Suite in apps like Google Drive and 3rd party Google Drive apps.
- Proven capability of working on a project from the concept to the final design package
- An ability to communicate complex, abstract concepts using both visual, verbal and written language.
- Ability to work with a diverse team in a rapidly-changing work environment: Proven experience working with a diverse team and being able to parse through large amounts of information in order to create synthesized and clear designs.
- Knowledge of SMS technology and mobile usage in developing countries and a familiarity with UNICEF Innovation Labs and products is a plus.
Additional Experience and Knowledge:
- Familiarity with open-source technology
- Familiarity with development/programming language
- Self-starter and able to time-manage oneself.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Design preparation and production skills
- Ability to work in a team and in a diverse and rapidly-changing work environment
- Experience working within the social impact space
- Knowledge of SMS technology and mobile usage in developing countries is a plus
Fluency in English. Competence in another UN language preferred (where applicable).
HOW TO APPLY
Applications must include:
- Cover letter,
- Portfolio/Work samples (send us a portfolio link or PDF no larger than 10MB)
To view our competency framework, please click here.
Please indicate your ability, availability and daily rate (in US$) to undertake the terms of reference above. Applications submitted without a daily rate will not be considered.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.
Closing Date: Fri 28 July 2017
*Posting and application portal for this job on unicef.org can only be accessed during the application period.