Role: Innovation Specialist
Work Type: Temporary Appointment
UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children’s rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world.
For every child, a new idea
The Innovation Specialist will be supervised directly by the Deputy Representative. S/he will be required to work independently with colleagues at national and sub-national levels, as well as partners and beneficiaries. The assignment requires the individual to work with a wide range of UNICEF staff from the different programme sections, with civil society and Government partners, and with technical service providers. In addition, the Innovation Specialist will work closely with the UNICEF Global Innovation Centre, the Ventures team in New York and the Futures team in San Francisco. The Innovation Specialist is expected to contribute and absorb learnings, successes, and failures in both the U-Report global network of U-Report Project Managers and the UNICEF Innovation Network, leveraging experience of Innovation colleagues in other Country Offices and ensuring that UNICEF Pakistan is actively engaged with and represented in the network.
How can you make a difference? For every child, hope
By end of 2017, priority Innovation initiatives such as U-Report have begun to scale, and new RapidPro projects are beginning to be designed and prototype and in initial phase of implementation. Innovation is mainstreamed as a core strategy across each of the UNICEF Pakistan section Annual Work Plans.
The Innovation Specialist is responsible for identifying opportunities to use existing and new data collection systems to strengthen the country projects and programmes involving citizens and/or youth as beneficiaries. The Innovation Specialist acts to build capacity in both the country office across all sections, partners and government stakeholders inclusive of all levels within the hierarchy. The Innovation Specialist is responsible for initiating and coordinating ongoing and new Innovation projects for UNICEF Pakistan and partners, and for providing ongoing technical support to each programme team in the design and implementation of their respective Innovation flagship initiative(s).
To make a difference, you will be accountable for the following duties:
1. Citizen Engagement, Participation & Feedback (U-Report)
- Work closely with Programme, ICT and PMER sections to infuse real-time data into strengthening programmes and to support awareness, behaviour change and mobilization efforts to support specific community activities.
- Build, manage and optimize a scale strategy to ensure U-Report is as accessible to young people across Pakistan.
- Manage and raise funds to support the U-Report system.
- Identify and build on existing partnerships to:
- Increase the number of U-Reporters
- Keep U-Reporters engaged
- Share results and feedback
- Answer questions from U-Reporters on a range of issues
- Work closely with the Emergency Specialist to build U-Report projects that enhance emergency preparedness and response.
- Work alongside the WASH team to leverage existing scale up activities, disaggregate data for WASH related programmes and support monitoring efforts.
- Support the Education section across their 2018-2021 programmes as well as identify any immediate opportunities, including Early Childhood Development (ECD) communications for parents and design of ECD strategy with government counterparts as requested by the section chief.
- Liaise with the Nutrition chief and section to determine how best to mobilise young people and community members to prevent stunting.
- Identify how best to support efforts to support existing efforts and partnerships to increase birth registration by working with the Child Protection section.
- Work closely with C4D team to develop strategy and work plan for U-report Pakistan where grass roots mobilisation and partnerships are important.
- Establish and maintain U-report external steering committee to guide design and deployment of the platform
- Work with ICT section to leverage existing partnership opportunities and identify new high level partnership opportunities with relevant companies in the private sector.
- Work with Communications to monitor and optimize U-Report scale up campaigns.
- Manage and maintain existing partnerships with School of Leadership, Red Crescent, Scouts and UNHCR to ensure all fulfil their potential.
- Management of consultant(s) related to the activities outlined above.
- Work with U-report Global Coordinator to ensure that U-report Pakistan is aligned with global approach and guidelines, including branding, content, and advocacy efforts
2. Real-Time Monitoring (RTM) & Information Systems
- Act as the country focal point for collaboration with Programme Division across all new and existing initiatives.
- Support programme sections in gathering and refining requirements for deployment of RapidPro-based solutions
- Liaise with technical service providers to support the adaptation / development of new products in line with requirements of programme sections
- Work with ICT and Telecom authorities to obtain necessary additional dedicated short codes to support specific programmes
- Work with ICT & PMER as relevant to develop big data platforms and analysis
- Liaise with PMER to support the establishment of contributions of RTM to existing workflows.
- Manage and maintain existing partnerships with key vendors such as the aggregator and RapidPro hosting companies.
- Support programme sections and partners in deployment and ongoing management of new products
- Provide capacity building to programme sections and key counterparts in the design, development, and management of new products
- Act as an external representative of UNICEF Innovation in meetings with key government stakeholders where programme sections require, request or need support.
3. Non traditional Partnerships
- Working closely with programme sections, identify set of priority research questions and develop a research plan around Innovation in UNICEF research for Pakistan, with links to the programme-level innovation inception and design processes in place
4. Learning, Coordination and Convening
- Ensure comprehensive documentation of all innovation projects and processes
- Ensure effective sharing and generation of knowledge around Innovations within UNICEF Pakistan, and develop knowledge products in support of this
- Organize and coordinate technical working groups across functional areas of focus, and liaise regularly with CMT to provide updates and receive feedback on progress against Innovation strategy and work plan
- Identify opportunities for resource mobilization and new partnerships, and lead proposal and partnership development efforts on behalf of the Innovation Unit
To qualify as a champion for every child you will have…
An advanced university degree in International Development, Business Administration, Information Technology or another related field or a first university degree with additional two-years of relevant work experience is acceptable in lieu of an advanced university degree.
– A minimum of five years of experience in managing programmes or projects related to information technology for development, communication, education with strong technology components across a large organisation.
– Experience in start-up companies/organisations is an asset.
– Experience in managing internal and external partnerships, including international organisations.
– Good knowledge of current trends in youth participation and new media, as well as a good understanding of development issues, world affairs and current events.
– Excellent team player, with very good communication skills, creative and innovative thinker who can also translate ideas into practical applications.
Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or a local language is an asset
For Every Child, you demonstrate:
Our Core Values
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Communication (II)
- Working with People (II)
- Drive for Results (II)
- Leading and Supervising (II)
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts (II)
- Analyzing (II)
- Relating and Networking (II)
- Applying Technical Expertise (III)
- Creating and Innovating (II)
- Planning and Organizing (II)
To view our competency framework, please click here.
Interested in finding out more?
You will have a rewarding experience working with a dynamic, diverse and committed staff who are making a difference in saving lives and building a better future for Every Child in Pakistan.
To know more about UNICEF’s work in Pakistan, visit the country website www.unicef.org/pakistan
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.
NOTE: Please note that Islamabad is a non-family duty station.
Closing Date: 14 May 2017
*Posting and application portal for this job on unicef.org can only be accessed during the application period.