Role: Design Lead, Office of Innovation
Duration: 11.5 months (part-time, estimated at 4 days per week average including additional buffer days, total number of working days: 210)
Duty Station: New York Headquarters
Work Type: Consultancy
Level: Consultant Contract (equivalent to P4)
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection, and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
UNICEF has been innovating for children for 70 years. Innovations support the organization’s 135+ country offices in finding solutions for the world’s most vulnerable children. The UNICEF innovation work includes both policy and practice of innovation in UNICEF, and the larger UN. Innovation in UNICEF is defined as “doing something new or different that adds value.” Innovation is a cross-sectoral function that enhances programme and development effectiveness as well as management and is guided in all contexts by UNICEF’s Innovation Principles (http://www.unicefstories.org/principles/). UNICEF is engaged in testing and scaling up new partnerships, technologies, and collaborations in some of the world’s most difficult operating environments.
In January 2016, the UNICEF established the Office of Innovation in order to strengthen its innovation functions and leverage the increasing opportunities across the organization. The Office of Innovation unites:
- The Global Innovation Centre (GIC): established in 2014, and focusing on Scale Up which looks at expanding the application of proven solutions from one to several countries and regions by UNICEF and partners
- Ventures: looks at investing in new solutions with a 0-2 year horizon
- Futures: focusing on what is coming in the 2-5 year horizon and works with big tech partners
PURPOSE OF THE APPOINTMENT
The Office of Innovation seeks a top-level candidate who can intake, prioritize and toggle nimbly between multiple projects coming from a geographically dispersed team and who can work tightly with the Interaction & Design Team to execute visually compelling and technically clear outputs for projects. This candidate must have proven experience in being able to take complex and sometimes abstract concepts and visually translate these concepts with clarity and simplicity in ways that are appropriate for the end user.
The candidate must be able to work in a fast-changing environment and have a strong understanding of social innovation in development. We seek someone who has proven experience coordinating multiple projects of varying degree and timelines and who knows how to work alongside a multidisciplinary team with backgrounds in communications, development, operations, partnership building, science, engineering and new and emerging technologies. Good communication is key, so we seek a candidate who knows how to articulate our work and our goals easily amongst a diverse range of staff who range in their understanding of design, and who has a knack for extrapolating information that can be utilized to improve ideas.
The role requires someone with a diverse and hybrid background, someone who loves to creatively problem-solve, who can ideally work across various devices and platforms, who understands both traditional design and the large spectrum of digital and web mediums. Ideally, this candidate will also have a strong sense of UNICEF’s programmes and goals, and expresses a passion for designing for social impact through their portfolio.
- Provide strategic design support for various parts of the Office of Innovation: This means being able to understand the needs of all parts of a geographically dispersed team and being able to make decisions on what requests need to be prioritized, who should execute the requests and what level of design support is needed to fulfill the request.
- Maintain and update our product brands and the main Innovation brand identity. This means making updates to brand guidelines and brand assets and also advising product leads on design best practices especially with digital platforms and apps.
- Monitor projects and ensure priority projects such as U-Report, RapidPro, the Innovation Fund and Magic Box stay on track according to the work plan. This includes establishing clear, streamlined work processes that support these projects and also support new and upcoming projects that come in during the course of the year.
- Lead projects that bridge the team and UNICEF in order to leverage resources, networks and inform well the new ideas that are emerging and/or reinforcing the proven ideas that are ready to scale.
- Work hand in hand with the Partnerships, Communications and Events teams and use design to bring about more efficient and clear modes of articulating the work we do so we can leverage new and existing partners and showcase the value of our innovation work.
- Monthly payment, based on monthly tasks and progress reports, approved upon monthly review with supervisor.
- Consultant is responsible for his own health insurance
- Consultant is eligible for standard DSA for all work-related travel
- Consultants are responsible for assuming costs for obtaining visas and travel insurance
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION
- Advanced degree in a relevant field or equivalent professional work experience.
- At least 8 years of professional experience in visual communication, media design, digital and print design, service design, system design or related – and proven experience in translating complex ideas into unified storytelling visuals.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED FOR THE ASSIGNMENT
- Design skills across the print and digital spectrum and professional-level knowledge of design platforms like Adobe Creative Suite.
- A portfolio which exemplifies strong work for both print and web, which shows both strong research, processes and attention to detail.
- Experience with leading creative teams on multiple projects of varying degrees and timelines.
- Experience in brand development and brand scaling
- Knowledge of capabilities and limitations of web and mobile technologies and experience that extends beyond-screen based designs.
- An ability to communicate complex, abstract concepts using both visual, verbal and written language.
- Ability to work embedded within a diverse team in a rapidly-changing work environment: Proven experience working with a diverse team and being able to parse through large amounts of information in order to create synthesized and clear designs.
Additional Experience and Knowledge:
- Familiarity with open-source technology
- Familiarity with development/programming language
- Familiarity with Innovation products is a plus
- Knowledge of SMS technology and mobile usage in developing countries is a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work in a team and in a diverse and rapidly-changing work environment
- Experience working within the social impact space
Fluency in English. Competence in another UN language preferred (where applicable).
Applications must include:
- Cover letter,
- Portfolio/Work samples
To view our competency framework, please click here.
Please indicate your ability, availability and monthly rate (in US$) to undertake the terms of reference above. Applications submitted without a monthly rate will not be considered.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
Closing Date: 25 April 2017
*Posting and application portal for this job on unicef.org can only be accessed during the application period.