Role: Partnerships Lead
Work Type: Consultancy
Location: San Francisco
Duration: 11.5 months (241 Days)
Level: Individual contract (equivalent to P4)
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection, and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
We are a small team of technologists and creatives in UNICEF who develop, prototype and scale new technologies. Our team has built products with millions of active users, and has had more failures than we can count. We’re a group of people trying to fix huge global problems and we know that we can’t do it alone. We are looking for someone to work across UNICEF’s 135 country offices and 30+ National Committees to help us build innovation partnerships with the private sector, government, and foundations.
Check out: www.unicefstories.org, www.unicef.org/innovation and @UNICEFInnovate for some idea of who we are.
You’re an expert negotiator and are always trying to find the shared value for multiple parties. You can see the big picture but also follow up on the details. You understand the implications of technology’s growth into every part of our lives. You occasionally wake up worried about killer robots, and are interested in how mobile phones, big data, and blockchain can transform the world of international development. You have a firm handle on and interest in international relations, and a keen sense of how a large organization works.
PURPOSE OF THE APPOINTMENT / MAIN ACTIVITIES
UNICEF is seeking to hire a consultant in the San Francisco office to assist in implementing an organization-wide strategy for partnerships.
Under the supervision of the Senior Advisor, Innovations and in close collaboration with the Private Fundraising and Partnerships Division and the US Fund for UNICEF, the consultant will be responsible for:
Partnerships Team Co-ordination:
- Internal: Provide overall day-to-day coordination and significant input to strategic work of the Partnerships team and all partnerships work (including fundraising) across the Office of Innovation, under the guidance of the Senior Advisor, Office of Innovation
- External: Support PFP, US Fund and other National Committees (as appropriate) in relationship-building, coordination, knowledge management/info sharing/documentation, activity planning for major partners, and with gathering Innovation input to major strategic initiatives
Events (West Coast based): With the US Fund, co-ordinate a series of regular events with tech partners (current and prospective) and UNICEF supporters to cement UNICEF as a leader in innovation with the Bay Area/Silicon Valley ecosystem
High profile social media channels/tools: With oversight from Senior Advisor, Innovation, act as focal point for Office of Innovation’s strategic role within UNICEF’s larger partnership with Facebook; and as needed support to engagement with other significant distribution channels such as Viber, etc.
Future areas: Support to early stage development of significant new partnerships in the ‘Future’ areas of work: Transportation, Money, Identity, Learning, etc.
- Monthly payment, based on monthly tasks and progress reports, approved upon monthly review with supervisor.
- Consultant is responsible for his own health insurance
- Consultant is eligible for standard DSA for all work-related travel
- Consultants are responsible for assuming costs for obtaining visas and travel insurance
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION
- Advanced degree or equivalent professional experience in one of the following fields: technology, communications, social sciences communication, public relations, business administration and management.
- At least eight (8) years of progressively responsible experience and a track record of working on developing innovative solutions/partnerships and initiatives between the technology sector and development/non-profit organizations
- Demonstrated planning, communication, research, fundraising and very strong writing and editing skills
- Strong leadership skills; capacity to prioritise and manage a diverse range of partners, projects and activities
- Project management skills including task prioritization and budget monitoring
- Ability to work with a diverse set of partners to create problem specifications, system requirements, and then implement software and technology innovations
- Prior experience working in/with technology companies
- Prior experience in prospecting, fundraising and/or partnerships building required
- Familiarity with UNICEF’s Innovation work an asset
- Prior experience in working on children’s issues an asset
- Fluency in English. Competence in another UN language preferred.
Applications must include:
- Cover letter,
To view our competency framework, please click here.
Please indicate your ability, availability and daily/monthly rate (in US$) to undertake the terms of reference above. Applications submitted without a daily/monthly rate will not be considered.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
Closing Date: 29 Mar 2017
*Posting and application portal for this job on unicef.org can only be accessed during the application period.