If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Background & Rationale
Since 2007 UNICEF has been a global leader in leveraging technology to advance development goals. The team focuses on:
- Identifying program needs and linking them to innovative technologies and methodologies;
- Building the capacity of programme colleagues at the country, regional and global levels, enabling them to identify and assess opportunities for the use of innovations;
- Advising government counterparts;
- Creating and strengthening partnerships, and supporting capacity building with local and regional stakeholders;
- Managing the design and development of software and hardware products;
- Supporting the roll-out of innovative programmes and initiatives.
In January 2015, UNICEF unified units working on innovation into the Office of Innovation. The purpose is to leverage all resources toward identifying and scaling innovations efficiently and rapidly.
As part of this effort, the Global Innovation Centre/Scale team launched RapidPro – a globally supported communication engine that will power the majority of UNICEF’s mobile services. With the strong uptake of RapidPro and its associated globally supported apps, the Global Innovation Centre looks to build a wealth of resource content for anyone to learn, explore, share, and contribute to the use and evolution of RapidPro and applications of RapidPro within UNICEF programmatic areas. The Global Innovation Centre, thus, seeks a technical writer and deployment officer to create web-based content around product specifications, user guides/manuals, and case studies and, in the area of deployment, provide targeted technical and strategic support to UNICEF and partners utilizing RapidPro.
Purpose of Assignment:
To manage the generation and/or regular maintenance of print and web-based product resources, including:
- Product handbooks for all globally rolled-out and supported tools
- Content for product features and user-generated tips & tricks
- Technical manuals for setup and configuration of different software tools
- Case studies and deployment experiences of products by UNICEF and others
- Copywriter’s manual and documentation guidelines for all technical documents
To provide remote and in-country support to UNICEF innovation deployments, with a particular focus on the Real-Time Monitoring portfolio:
- Work in a targeted Help Desk / Concierge capacity to support UNICEF Country Offices(CO), Regional Offices, and other interested sections in training for, the design of, and deploying initiatives powered by RapidPro for UNICEF programming where appropriate and according to country programme needs.
- Support the roll-out of RapidPro-based programs and other new innovations together with UNICEF Country offices, including initial assessments, orientation workshops, design and business analysis, on-site and remote support, setup and advise in contracting needs
- Work with the Senior Innovation Deployment Specialist and counterparts in Programme Division and ICT to build capacity of colleagues at Headquarter (HQ), Regional Office (RO), and CO level as part of the ‘mainstreaming’ initiative currently underway
- As part of the country support process, support CO’s in preparing country-specific Term of Reference, project proposals, fundraising documents and presentation materials for RapidPro and related solution
- Devise and activate capacity development and sustainability strategy/ies for RapidPro deployments around the world
- Maintain documentation on RapidPro, including:
- knowledge base
- blog posts
- case studies
- Produce standards and guidelines for technical documents published by the Global Innovation Centre (GIC);
- Embed in product development activities and serve as a resource for gathering and articulating technical knowledge of team into a packaged document for every product;
- Create technical handover documents for products being transferred over to external parties (ie partners, other UNICEF groups, governments, industry);
- Liaise with UNICEF Innovation Visual Strategy team on design and communication activities involving globally rolled-out and supported products.
- Liaise with UNICEF deployment team support staff to identify and prioritize documentation needs
- Develop user-facing documentation to support improved use of RapidPro suite of tools
- Working closely with RapidPro community manager, develop and deliver learning (training & capacity development) content to support the RapidPro user community in their deployments
- Support UNICEF Country Offices, Regional Offices, and other interested sections in training for, the design of, and deploying initiatives powered by RapidPro for UNICEF programming where appropriate and according to specific needs of country programs.
- Work with the Senior Innovation Deployment Specialist and counterparts in PD and ICT to build capacity of colleagues at HQ, RO, and CO level as part of the ‘mainstreaming’ initiative currently underway
- Working with the Senior Innovation Deployment Specialist, develop content for Programme Monitoring Toolkit and other relevant Guidance Documents to ensure RapidPro is positioned as a platform of reference
Payment made monthly on completion of deliverable(s) meeting UNICEF’s standard, and presentation of a signed invoice.
Consultant is eligible for standard in- and out-of-country DSA for all work-related travel
Qualifications or specialized knowledge/experience required for the assignment:
Three to five years of professional experience as a technical writer. Experience with producing detailed technical product documentation in short turnaround windows. A sharp eye for detail, research skills and the ability to work under strict deadlines is a must. At minimum, must possess a bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications, or a related field. Education/work experience in engineering/technical fields is a major plus.
Additional Experience and Knowledge:
- Technical Writer who is comfortable coordinating between multiple teams.
- Superior technical writing skills
- Experience working in/for low-resource settings
- Familiarity working with software and/or hardware product development teams
- Superior command of the English language
- Experience with processing large amount of information and synthesizing it
- Ability to work in a team and in a diverse work environment.
To view our competency framework, please click here.
Please indicate your ability, availability and daily/monthly rate (in US$) to undertake the terms of reference above (including travel and daily subsistence allowance, if applicable). Applications submitted without a daily/monthly rate will not be considered.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
Opening Date 25 Jan 2017 Eastern Standard Time
Closing Date 8 Feb 2017 Eastern Standard Time