Download the complete Terms of Reference here.
Role: U-Report Manager
Duration: 11.5 months
Duty Station: Remote
Type: Individual contract
In 2010 UNICEF launched its flagship youth engagement tool U-Report in Uganda (www.ureport.ug). Since then, U-Report has expanded to 27 countries with over 2,500,000 young people registered and interacting via SMS, Twitter, Facebook Messenger, U-Report App and Telegram.
In 2014, UNICEF launched a new solutions platform called RapidPro. RapidPro is the platform that powers U-Report across the majority of countries where it exists. Based on the RapidPro platform young people can now join U-Report from anywhere in the world. U-Report App is also available globally as well as additional digital channels to Twitter and Facebook Messenger.
Scaling U-Report globally is a priority for 2017 and onwards, as well as expanding the program in Asia, Europe and Latin America. UNICEF is seeking a U-Report Coordinator to manage U-Report Global and the U-Report community, support country offices, and ensure we successfully reach the 3 Strategic Objectives of U-Report
- Scale the programme through new and existing territories
- Engage U-Reporters
- Apply crowd-sourced data from U-Report to achieve positive social change.
U-Report is a mature, youth engagement solution deployed in 27 countries serving more than 2.5 million young people. Many more countries are in the pipeline with more young people joining. This consultancy is focused on supporting the global lead for U-Report in meeting the increased demand created by more countries setting up U-Report for Global Innovation Centre guidance. Secondarily the consultant will assist in managing the partnerships with World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS) and World Organization of Scout Movement (WOSM) and operating the U-Report Global RapidPro platform.
THIS IS HOW U-REPORT WORKS
- Young people opt in the program (through SMS, App, Facebook Messenger, Telegram or Twitter) and become U-Reporters after answering a short series of questions to build their profile in the system.
- Regular polls are sent out to U-Reporters for their opinions on important social issues.
- Incoming messages are analyzed, sorted, and displayed on a dashboard.
- U-Reporters receive feedback and additional information regarding each week’s poll.
- Results are broadcast for U-Reporters and the general public via that country’s U-Report website (full list of sites found here: www.ureport.in)
In Uganda – the first country to deploy U-Report – hundreds of thousands of youth and their government are linked through U-Report — prompting policy changes and strengthening UNICEF programmes. In Nigeria, a rapidly growing base of U-Reporters have been voicing their thoughts on health and economic related issues–becoming a key group of social mobilizers in the effort to raise awareness about the Ebola epidemic. Based on new developments U-Report is now available globally, from any country on Twitter, Facebook Messenger, Telegram, or via the U-Report App. Viber will also soon be available.
The UNICEF Global Innovation Centre is managing an integrated approach to deploying RapidPro and U-Report globally. In order to meet the existing demand from Country Offices for ongoing support as well as demand for countries that are about to launch U-Report, the Global Innovation Centre requires particular expertise in fulfilling the vision of creating these channels for the global voice of youth around development issues for social good.
PURPOSE OF THE APPOINTMENT / MAIN ACTIVITIES
To advise and support country offices by:
- Present global U-Report strategy and key principles to country offices
- Hold regular planning sessions with global partners such as the Girl Guides and the Scouts and future partners to coordinate messaging and recruitment into the global platform.
- Support the coordination U-Report coordinated polls
- Document lessons learned and distribute to country offices
- Advising Country Offices on budgetary requirements.
- Support country offices in building partnerships
- Host monthly calls with all U-Report countries and discuss case studies, best practices and provide advice and guidance on any challenges countries are experiencing under the supervision of the global lead.
- Support the design phase of local U-Report programmes
- Provide training remotely and in person to UNICEF country office teams on use of RapidPro for U-Report.
- Support the roll out Monitoring and Evaluation structures with U-Report countries.
- Liaise with LTA vendors on platform development, bug issues and troubleshooting.
- Work with the WAGGGS & WOSM on recruiting their membership into the global U-Report programme.
- Help moderate the U-Report app.
- Work with internet.org counterparts to ensure U-Report content is optimized for the platform.
- Coordinate country needs for technical requirements of U-Report technology for future iterations and vendor contracts.
- Develop toolkits for country offices considering U-Report set up and maintaining needs.
- Consult with Innovation colleagues on drafts of all documents.
- Advise NGOs and sister UN agencies on how to approach U-Report set up and leadership.
- Provide input into future strategy and development plans for the U-Report project.
- Liaise with UNICEF C4D and Programs Sections on how to collect data through U-Report for supporting program work.
- Represent U-Report team at conferences where global U-Report presence is required.
- Document case studies on a regular basis as a result of regular communication with country offices running U-Report.
- Work with Country Offices to set scale targets and provide support to help them meet them.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION
- Bachelor´s degree, ideally in communications, journalism, or a related field
- Minimum 2 years of relevant work experience
Specialized Experience and Knowledge required for the assignment
- Experience working with youth groups and civil society organizations
- Experience working with RapidPro and U-Report.
- Experience working in a team from a variety of cultures.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills with experience in consensus building and in motivating cross-functional teams to meet ambitious project goals and timelines;
- Able to work independently, has sound judgment and strong organizational skills.
- Experience working with a web based platforms
- Experience in creating or managing content for young people is a strong plus;
- Experience in managing websites.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships;
- Ability to travel, occasionally to remote locations;
Fluency in English. Knowledge of an additional UN Language is considered a strong asset.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested and suitable candidates are requested to send their applications with Subject “U-Report Manager” to: firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 14th November 2016.
Applications must include the following:
- Cover letter
- P11 (http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/P11.doc)
- expected monthly rate in USD (total / all-inclusive rate)
Incomplete applications will be disqualified. Applicants must clearly indicate the position applied for and use this order to name file attachments: Firstname_Lastname followed by document e.g. Gold_Mukasa_CV or Gold_Mukasa_CoverLetter. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Download the complete Terms of Reference here.