Download the complete Terms of Reference here.
Special Adviser, Partnerships
Duration: 68 days; 7 Nov 2016 – 28 Feb 2017
Duty Station: NYHQ or remote
Section & Unit: Office of Innovation
Languages: Fluency in English. Competence in another UN language preferred.
Since 2007 UNICEF has been a global leader in leveraging technology to advance development goals. Innovation work at UNICEF currently exists as a highly distributed network of labs, designers, developers, program managers, academics and private-sector partners, at headquarters, regional and country office level. The team focuses on:
- Identifying program needs and linking them to innovative technologies and methodologies.
- Building the capacity of colleagues at the country, regional and global levels, enabling them to identify and assess opportunities for the use of innovations.
- Advising government counterparts.
- Creating and strengthening partnerships, and supporting capacity building with local and regional stakeholders.
- Managing the design and development of software and hardware products.
- Supporting the roll-out of innovative programs and initiatives.
PURPOSE OF THE APPOINTMENT / MAIN ACTIVITIES
UNICEF is seeking to hire a consultant that will assist in implementing an organization-wide strategy for partnership with key technology companies. Responsibilities will include:
- Internal: Provide overall day-to-day coordination of the Partnerships team and all partnerships work across the Office of Innovation, under the guidance of the Senior Advisor, Innovations
- External: Support PFP, US Fund and other natcoms (as appropriate) in relationship-building, coordination, knowledge management/info sharing/documentation, activity planning for major partners, and with gathering Innovation input to major strategic initiatives
- Facebook and similar channels: Provide global support to Office of Innovation’s strategic role within UNICEF’s larger partnership with Facebook; and as needed support to engagement with other significant distribution channels such as Viber…
- Future areas: Working with programme colleagues, write landscape analysis and use case document on ‘Opportunity for Innovation in Cash Programming’ for Future of Money area of work
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION
Qualifications and Experience:
- Advanced degree in one of the following fields: technology, communications, social sciences communication, public relations, business administration and management.
- At least eight (8) years of progressively responsible experience and a track record of working on developing innovative solutions/partnerships and initiatives between the technology sector and development/non-profit organizations
- Demonstrated planning, communication, research, fundraising and very strong writing and editing skills
- Strong leadership skills; capacity to prioritise and manage a diverse range of partners, projects and activities
- Project management skills including task prioritization and budget monitoring
- Ability to work with a diverse set of partners to create problem specifications, system requirements, and then implement software and technology innovations
- Prior experience working in/with technology companies
- Prior experience in prospecting, fundraising and/or partnerships building required
- Familiarity with UNICEF’s Innovation work an asset
- Prior experience in working on children’s issues an asset
HOW TO APPLY
Interested and suitable candidates are requested to send their applications with Subject “Special Adviser, Partnerships” to: firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 03 November 2016.
Applications must include the following:
- Cover letter
- P11 (http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/P11.doc)
- expected monthly rate in USD (total / all-inclusive rate)
Incomplete applications will be disqualified. Applicants must clearly indicate the position applied for and use this order to name file attachments: Firstname_Lastname followed by document e.g. Gold_Mukasa_CV or Gold_Mukasa_CoverLetter. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Download the complete Terms of Reference and deliverables here.