Download the complete Terms of Reference here
Title: Event Coordinator Consultant
Location of Assignment: New York, USA
Language(s) required: English, another UN language is an asset
Travel: Travel anticipated
Duration of Contract: 11.5 months
Section & Unit: Office of Innovation
Consultant Reporting to: Senior Advisor, Innovation
The Office of Innovation identifies promising new technologies (data science, SMS technologies, UAVs) that have potential to impact UNICEF core operations (education, health, disaster response). Through our network of technology companies, UNICEF Country Offices and academic institutions, we construct pilots to quickly determine if projects should be continued or discontinued. The Office of Innovation in New York provides support to innovation leads in Country Offices and consists of a flat team of technologists, designers, programmers, researchers and communication specialists. Requests for collaboration, advice and support are fielded from UNICEF programmes, and other parts of the UN system. We also have a small venture fund – the UNICEF Innovation Fund – which provides resources to quickly assess, fund and scale companies, teams, and ideas that have been developed in new and emerging markets. The Innovation Fund supports the generation of open source, public goods that address the most pressing challenges facing children.
Work will take place out of UNICEF Headquarters in Manhattan, New York, alongside a multi-disciplinary team of about 20 technologists, developers, research scientists, designers and communication specialists. The event landscape that you would be working on can span from: big engagements such as Mobile World Congress, SXSW, CES; to a boutique Friends and Family Party in our Manhattan office; to a Drone Day in Malawi; to a Global Team Meeting in Asia; to a Virtual Reality event in Silicon Valley. You must be creative and scrappy: we bring maximum results with minimum resources.
PURPOSE OF THE APPOINTMENT
Want to connect great problem solvers around the world in creating a global engine of change? Good, we want you.
UNICEF Office of Innovation is looking for a superbly organized, highly adaptable, entrepreneurial and strategic event lead to strategize, conceptualize, coordinate and execute a number of events and engagements.
We work very fast, we embrace startup culture, and we work with the worlds of academia, public and private sector around the world who help us find solutions to the biggest problems that face children. While working from the UNICEF Headquarters in New York, we also work closely with the UNICEF Innovation office in San Francisco, and UNICEF Global Innovation Centre in Nairobi. As our event and engagement portfolio grows, we are looking for a candidate who can deliver strategic approaches and flawless execution.
- Take ownership of the event calendar and coordinate all event projects that the Innovation Team is organizing.
- Handle overall event milestones and deliverables, creative briefs, logistics and production timelines to meet deadlines.
- Develop and maintain relationships and manage lines of communication with various Country Offices, National Committees and programme divisions, as well as an external network of academia, private sector, and government focal points.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of the Innovation Team’s network of contacts, event calendar, and other resources.
Ongoing projects that the candidate will be expected to support:
- UN Data Innovation Lab Workshops: A series of thematic workshops focusing on creating awareness about applications of new data sources, aligning on strategies to solve data-related challenges and strengthening agencies’ ability to utilise data for decision making (Worldwide)
- UNICEF House Meetings: All meetings held at UNICEF HQ (New York)
Innovation Unit Network Catalogue: Maintaining directory of the Unit’s networks
Key competences, technical background, and experience required
- Bachelor’s degree and/or Master’s degree and 5 years of professional experience in a relevant field
- Scrappy, creative, obsessively organized, in your element when on the move or coordinating multi-nationally, very personable, someone that people warm up quickly to
- Experience with events big and small, from delivering a creative concept and designing an agenda, to identifying overall event milestones and deadlines, to directing and overseeing coordination leading up to an event
- Experience with curating keynotes and panel sessions for industry thought leaders
- Experience with tech events, hackerspaces, makerspaces, tech campuses a nice-to-have, but not necessary
- Experience with conceptualizing and/or producing: videos, direct mailings, websites, animations, invitations, webinars etc nice-to-have, but not necessary
- You are a people person and an email ninja. You know how to communicate with interns and Prime Ministers alike. You will maintain and grow multiple relationships with internal decision makers, prominent external speakers and thinkers, academia, civil society, NGOs and more.
- Cool under chaos – a must. Highly adaptable, able to make sound and time-sensitive decisions independently under a significant workload.
- Personable, amiable and eager to work with a very diverse team
- Knowledge of SMS technology and mobile usage in developing countries.
- Familiarity with open-source technology.
- Familiarity with development/programming language.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language is an asset.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
i) Core Values:
– Diversity and Inclusion
ii) Core Competencies:
– Working with People
– Drive for Results
iii) Functional Competencies:
– Leading and Supervising
– Formulating Strategies and Concepts
– Relating and Networking
– Persuading and Influencing
– Creating and Innovating
Applicants are requested to send their submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line:
Event Coordinator Consultant by 3 September 2016 5:00pm EST.
- Cover letter
- UN Personal History (P-11) form (http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/P11.doc)
Note: Please indicate your ability, availability and daily rate (in USD) to undertake the terms of reference above. Applications submitted without a daily rate will not be considered.
UNICEF is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
Download the complete Terms of Reference here