VACANCY – Innovations Lead (for Youth Engagement and Mobile for Development initiatives)
Office of Innovation (Global Innovation Centre)
Duration: 3 months
Duty Station: Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
Level: Individual contract (equivalent to P3)
UNICEF has been innovating for children for more than 60 years. The Office of Innovation supports the organization’s 135+ country offices in finding solutions for the world’s most vulnerable children. The UNICEF innovation work includes both policy and practice of innovation in UNICEF, and the larger UN. UNICEF is engaged in testing and scaling up new partnerships, technologies, and collaborations in some of the world’s most difficult operating environments. UNICEF’s system of innovation throughout the organization includes:
- A Global Innovation Centre in Nairobi, Bangkok and Kampala: focusing on Scale Up which looks at expanding the application of proven solutions from one to several countries and regions by UNICEF and partners
- An Innovation Unit in New York: focusing on Ventures which looks at investing in new solutions with a 0-2 year horizon
- An Innovation node in San Francisco: focusing on Futures which looks at what is coming in the 2-5 year horizon and works with big tech partners
- A network of Innovation Labs around the world: to bring together the private sector, academia, and the public sector to develop solutions for key social issues, and ensure we are always watching for new ideas from unexpected places.
UNICEF Innovation is seeking to hire a qualified consultant for a short-term assignment to support the ongoing implementation of Innovation initiatives in Papua New Guinea.
The PNG Country Office has supported the development of a bourgeoning innovations programme over the last year. Capitalising on the dramatic increase of feature phone use across the country, UNICEF PNG is helping government partners better connect with communities via SMS. Partnerships with the Department of Education, Department of Implementation and Rural Development and the Department of Justice have all lead to the development of real time data collection tools using SMS. Through RapidPro these government departments are collecting a broad range of data from school enrolment numbers to information about district level funding and cases of juvenile justice. UNICEF PNG is also working with the Department of Health to use RapidPro as a mass communications mechanism. Pregnant women and new mothers across the country can now subscribe for a free text message service giving them vital information about how to look after their health and the health of their babies. Health workers can also receive mentoring messages related to the new malnutrition treatment protocols.
In addition, UNICEF Papua New Guinea is exploring the potential to launch U-Report, which is a mobile platform that is designed to empower young people in developing countries to speak out on issues that they care about in their communities, encourage citizen-led development and create positive change. Papua New Guinea has a growing population of young people, with almost 60% of the population under the age of 25 (2011 Census). U-Report will provide the large youth population a platform to engage with policy makers.
Real-time monitoring and citizen engagement across key development sectors, including health, education, water and sanitation and children protection will ensure greater transparency, accountability and dissemination of information which will have a lasting impact on the ability of the government of PNG to provide vital services, especially to the most disadvantaged communities.
PURPOSE OF THE APPOINTMENT
The purpose of the 3-month consultancy is maintain progress and momentum in ongoing projects and to manage the ongoing implementation of various innovation initiatives supported by UNICEF, including RapidPro and U-Report.
Major duties and responsibilities
Under the general guidance and supervision of the UNICEF PNG Communications Section, with support provided by the Planning, M and E Specialist and UNICEF Chiefs of Section, as well as a connection to the global Office of Innovation, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Coordinate with mobile telephone network service providers to ensure uninterrupted flow of incoming and outgoing messages.
- Support the design and implementation of U-Report in Papua New Guinea, supporting the development of
- a government and youth-led steering committee,
- agreements with mobile providers,
- generating a content calendar in collaboration with the steering committe,
- managing subscribers with support from the Global U-Report team and
- overseeing the meaningful engagement of youth on challenges and opportunities facing them.
- Support communication, advocacy and outreach to achieve high registration rates of users of the service
- Provide high quality coordination, management and oversight to UNICEF and its partners in designing, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluating of RapidPro-based projects in Papua New Guinea.
- Ensure effective and efficient coordination with government and stakeholders implementing RapidPro-based activities in PNG
- Play a liaison and connector role vis-a-vis the UNICEF Office of Innovation to ensure appropriate communication (outgoing) and support (incoming)
- Work with country office to provide technical advice and input into a TOR and selection process for longer term support to the RapidPro and U-Report projects in PNG
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION
- Bachelor’s degree in Development Studies, Communication or other relevant field. Training in Information and Communication Technology will be considered an asset.
- At least 5 years of relevant professional experience with Programme management and working with complex, Government-led programmes;
- At least 2 years of relevant experience working with technology for development or mobile for development programmes;
- Experience working with youth or on youth related programmes;
- Experience working with media or in communications will be considered as an added benefit;
- Strategic planning, analytical and writing skills; and
- High level of communication, interpersonal skills and experience working effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
- Monthly payment, based on monthly tasks and progress reports, approved upon monthly review with supervisor.
- Consultant is responsible for his own health insurance
- Consultant is eligible for a lumpsum DSA in Port Moresby and standard in and out of country DSA for other required work related travel
How to apply:
Interested and suitable candidates are requested to send their applications with Subject “PNG Innovations Lead” to: firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 14 April 2016.
Applications must include the following:
- Cover letter
- P11 (http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/P11.doc)
- expected monthly rate in USD (total / all-inclusive rate, but exclusive of lumpsum DSA in Port Moresby)
Incomplete applications will be disqualified. Applicants must clearly indicate the position applied for and use this order to name file attachments: Firstname_Lastname followed by document e.g. Gold_Mukasa_CV or Gold_Mukasa_CoverLetter. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.