Job no: 493885
Work type: Fixed Term Staff
Location: United States of America
Categories: Information Communication Technology, P-4
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Position
Under the general guidance of the Chief, ITSS-ACFS, the incumbent of this post has major responsibilities as lead technical solutions architect and quality assurance Officer for the development, implementation and maintenance of custom development, customization and deployment of all UNICEF’s Field Facing applications/landscapes. This includes eTools, Mobility solutions, solutions to facilitate programmatic delivery and monitoring etc. The incumbent will lead a group of consultants and project resources to develop and maintain in-house developed custom web and mobile applications. The incumbent is responsible for establishing documenting and implementing application development standards and performing quality assurance on applications developed by other analyst/programmers before they are moved to the productive environments. The incumbent will also provide expert advice on best practices and techniques for the development and implementation of tailored solutions in alignment with IT Strategy and policies. The incumbent will evaluate and propose information technology solutions for various business areas of UNICEF.
Key Expected Results
- Takes responsibility for the interpretation of policy, business and operational requirements into detailed documented technical specifications for delivery of field solutions (web & mobile). Advises UNICEF staff and Consultants in various system development and maintenance phases, e.g. requirement analysis, prototyping, design, programing, testing and evaluation. Creates and Reviews specifications for proposed enhancements, reports, formats, to determine technical soundness, cost benefit, ease of maintenance and user-applicability. Monitors and reports on project quality/cost and customer satisfaction metrics. Coordinates and ensures adherence to product timeliness and delivery schedules as required by project governance. Provides periodic plan updates and status updates as input to IT portfolio management.
- Establishes Architecture and Design guidelines and standards for development. Supports the technical team to explore technical solutions. Responsible for mentoring and coaching staff to build internal technical capacity to code, design, develop and automate deployable field solutions that meets functional and non-functional needs. Ensures Knowledge transfer and upskilling of staff/direct reports to enable adequate continuity and backup capacity. Personally develops and maintains customs development, programs and solutions of high complexity, including all actions required to keep such enhancements synchronized with required systems upgrades. Develops interface specifications, programs, utilities interfaces between applications both internal and external to UNICEF. Develops tools and integration mechanisms based on open standards to enable seamless integration of UNICEF corporate data and applications with specific field solutions (web and mobile).
- Manages development team work assignments, schedules and plans. Oversees quality assurance of programs, procedures and documentation within development team; promotes utilization of industry standard methodologies that will render productive systems designs and programming techniques among other Systems Analysts, Programmer Analysts, and Assistant Programmers. Ensures that development teams are complying with application development standards and methodology. Assures that all new developments are in compliance with restrictions set forth by vendor or open source licensing agreements.
- Plan, Propose and design solutions that leverage UNICEF IT Services and Platforms in alignment with IT strategy. Ensure delivery of highly flexible, interoperable, high quality, and low cost of ownership of solutions. Keeps abreast of latest developments within the area of information technology and advises supervisor on new application areas and technology. Evaluates software (commercial or open source) for suitability and applicability to UNICEF. Advocates and provides new information technology solutions for business needs of UNICEF users.
- Develops and implements strategic sourcing plan to provide appropriate balance of in-house, consulting, on-shore and off-shore resources assigned to project delivery. Monitors problems reported by other members of the team, to assure they are being followed-up upon adequately.
- Performs any other relevant duties requested by supervisor, including acting as OIC for the section, supporting strategic planning processes, supporting work planning, project planning and development of business cases, supporting technical architecture initiatives, etc.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- An advanced university degree (Master’s) in Business Administration, Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems or related technical field is required*.
- *A first university degree (Bachelor’s) in a relevant field (as identified above) combined with ten (10) years of relevant work experience (as identified below), may be taken in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Eight (8) years of work experience, at the national and international levels, in Information Technology Systems is required.
- Previous hands-on experience in developing Web applications using Python, Django, jQuery, Ruby On Rails, Open Source frameworks with either MySQL, PostgreSQL, or Couchbase as the backend is considered an asset.
- Previous experience in developing and consuming web services (WCF, SOAP, REST), Setup and Deployment of cloud based applications using software defined infrastructure and containerization technologies like Docker is considered an asset.
- Previous experience in the information technology disciplines: business process, user requirements analysis, systems integration (development, implementation and operations), systems administration, and applications development is highly desirable.
- Previous experience in a multivendor/open source application development environment and implementation of web/mobile applications using software defined architecture and infrastructure is highly desirable.
- Previous experience in third-party interfaces using open web standards is considered an asset.
- Previous experience in managerial and supervision of professional staff and project leadership in information technology and development settings is considered an asset.
- Previous experience in working and negotiating with consultants and vendors is considered an asset.
- Fluency in English (written & verbal) is required. Fluency in an additional UN Language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish) is considered an asset.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Communicates effectively to varied audiences, including during formal public speaking.
- Creates and encourages a climate of team-working and collaboration in a multi-cultural environment.
- Consistently achieves high-level results, managing and delivering projects on-time and on-budget.
- Analyzes and integrates potentially conflicting numerical, verbal and other data from a number of sources.
- Translates strategic direction into plans and objectives.
- Sets clearly defined objectives and plans activities for self, own team or department.
- Demonstrates and shares detailed technical knowledge and expertise.
- Has good leadership and supervisory skills; co-ordinates group activities, ensuring that roles within the team are clear.
To view our competency framework, please click here.
This is an extension of the application deadline in order to expand the candidate pool. Previous applicants need not reapply as their original application will be duly considered.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time