The Adaptation Learning Programme (ALP) for Africa implemented by CARE International is seeking a Networking and Advocacy Manager to lead engagement with climate change adaptation policy and adaptation finance in Africa, towards promoting and resourcing adaptation which follows proven good practice and is accountable. The position coordinates ALP’s networking and advocacy with national and regional government institutions, civil society organisations and networks and CARE country offices. The successful candidate will be an experienced project manager with strong networks, commitment to a just and effective policy response to climate change impacts in Africa and knowledge and experience in climate change adaptation related policy processes and civil society networking and advocacy in Africa.
The job holder is a member of the ALP Programme Coordination Team and works closely with the Pan Africa Climate Justice Alliance (PACJA) and regional to global institutions involved in adaptation finance. The position, based in Kenya, is for two years and reports to the ALP Regional Programme Coordinator.
ALP aims to increase capacity for adaptation by vulnerable communities through promoting approaches for community-based adaptation to climate change in practice and policy in Ghana, Niger and Kenya and elsewhere across Africa.
- Lead and coordinate ALP networking and advocacy to promote community based adaptation
- Lead ALP support to civil society advocacy and influence in adaptation policy and finance
- Management support to ensure delivery of relevant ALP outputs and ‘sub-projects’ , learning, evidence generation and quality assurance
- University degree in a relevant discipline such as political science, public administration, international relations, social science,development studies
- At least eight years of relevant working experience, including a minimum of four years in project management in Africa.
- Strong experience and knowledge of approaches for policy analysis, policy influence, advocacy, networking, CSO strengthening, governance and capacity building
- Strong networks and experience working with national and international organisations
- Knowledge and practical experience of policy processes including finance mechanisms related to adaptation to climate change
- Excellent facilitation, communication, people and relationship-building skills, demonstrated awareness of and sensitivity to gender and diversity
- Excellent writing skills and fluency in English required, French ability desirable
- Willingness to be based in Kenya and travel within and beyond Africa up to 30% time
We offer a competitive compensation package.
Deadline for application is April 4th 2016. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
CARE is an Equal Opportunity Employer promoting gender, equity and diversity. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.