Title: Innovation Product Content Strategist
UNICEF Global Innovation Centre
Duration: 11 months
Duty Station: to be determined
Level: Individual contract (equivalent to P3)
In January 2014, UNICEF has set up a cross-sectoral Global Innovation Centre. The vision of the newly established Global Innovation Centre is enabling exponential change in reducing inequities and achieving programme effectiveness and results for children. It focuses on innovations that benefit the most deprived people, and the areas with the highest level of inequity, specifically focusing on technologies, tools and solutions that can be deployed and used in remote areas and by people who do not have access to feature technology.
UNICEF´s Innovation Centre focuses on development and global scale of generic solutions, and in close collaboration with UNICEF Country Offices supports the set-up and roll-out of those innovations, specifically in the following main areas:
- Real-time information: Development and scale-up of innovations to provide real-time information to UNICEF programs and increase transparency and accountability.
- Access to information and Quality Learning: Development and scale-up innovative solutions to provide improved access to information and quality education.
- Youth engagement: Scale-up of U-Report and partnerships to promote youth engagement
Increasingly Education and Health-focused programme teams within Country Offices globally have been interested in leveraging digital resources to improve access to information and learning outcomes.
In July 2014, UNICEF launched a partnership with Facebook, providing lifesaving and enriching digital content through Facebook´s internet.org service called “Free Basics” for free. In 2016, more than 50 countries are expected to launch such digital platforms. In addition UNICEF Innovation Centre is working with Foundation for Learning Equality and the Uganda Country Office to develop and roll-out digital content systems in all Secondary Schools in Uganda.
UNICEF therefore requires a consultant with significant communication and innovation experience, to provide expert guidance on how best to engage with digital content and to ensure alignment between UNICEF Innovations, Programmes and Country Offices. The consultant will also provide guidance and hands-on support to country offices during specific roll-out processes of digital content platforms. Guidance for the country offices will be around how to best to identify, vet, prepare and localize digital content for the above initiatives.
PURPOSE OF THE APPOINTMENT
To help shape how UNICEF uses digital content in innovation-based initiatives.
- Engage in a problem definition process, assessing content-focused initiatives underway at UNICEF and their efficacy, needs, etc.
- Map the content lifecycle of different programme-focused innovation projects currently underway;
- Analyze the role of each team within UNICEF in generating, curating, and maintaining content in an effort to determine a best process/strategy for UNICEF and the Global Innovation Center.
- Develop a content strategy for either current priority projects or, if enough commonalities exist across projects, for the Innovation Centre
- Identify and mainstream best practices in content development and curation throughout UNICEF Innovation and programme sections.
- Identify, vet and prepare content to be shared via digital content initiatives, such as internet.org or the U-Portal. This will include both country-specific sites and content, and regional/global UNICEF content such as Facts for Life.
- Supporting the sourcing, translation and adaptation of UNICEF content for a mobile-first strategy
- Support with content curation, content editing, website design decisions, and other support to the content platforms as needed.
- Map, track and analyze content-focused projects within UNICEF; determine commonalities, areas of overlap, etc.
- Engage in conversations with stakeholders at the global, regional and CO level, using surveys and focus groups as appropriate.
- Develop a framework for gathering information needed to create a digital content strategy for innovation and programme work.
- Analyze and determine the main processes through which content is created or used within UNICEF programs and partner programs.
- Visit a range of program implementations in multiple regions, meeting extensively with programme staff and target beneficiaries.
- Identify and support the development of high-level partnerships.
- Develop the vision for digital content in UNICEF Innovations and programme work, including goals for the future.
- Develop the digital content strategy, including guidelines, best practices, and recommendations for implementers and partnerships.
- In collaboration with the design team, create a series of assets (concept note, etc.) for global dissemination.
- In collaboration with the global innovation team, lead a series of regional workshops aimed at building capacity within programme teams and mainstreaming the digital content strategy.
- Design and implement evaluation activities aimed at gauging both the effectiveness of the workshops as well as remaining knowledge gaps.
- Create handover documentation identifying areas of focus, best practices, and next steps.
- Add and help maintain a curated list of OER.
- Participate in software development discussions, with a focus on defining the content cycle, enforcing best-practices in content distribution and migration, etc.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION
- 5+ years of project management experience
- Experience working at all levels of the content lifecycle: from copyediting to creating high-level strategies and partnerships.
- Experience serving as a strong team lead, able to remotely manage content-based initiatives and projects with diverse stakeholders.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills with experience in consensus building and in motivating cross-functional teams to meet ambitious project goals and timelines;
- Strong background in developing and using content inventories, taxonomies, gap analysis, etc. in projects and to inform content strategies.
- Experience working with a wide range of CMSs, OER, content delivery platforms, etc.
- Experience in creating or managing content for young people is a strong plus;
- Experience in creating or managing content for learning is a plus;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships;
- Ability to travel, occasionally to remote locations;
- Fluency in written and verbal English is a must; competence in at least one other UN language is preferred;
- Bachelor’s degree, ideally in communications, journalism, or a related field; Master’s degree preferred.
How to apply:
Interested and suitable candidates are requested to send their applications with Subject “Innovation product content strategist” to: firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 7 February 2016.
Applications must include the following:
- Cover letter
- P11 (http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/P11.doc)
- expected monthly rate (gross rate)
Incomplete applications will be disqualified. Applicants must clearly indicate the position applied for and use this order to name file attachments: Firstname_Lastname followed by document e.g. Gold_Mukasa_CV or Gold_Mukasa_CoverLetter. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.