VACANCY – Senior Technology and Software Development Specialist
Global Innovation Centre
Duration: 11.5 months
Duty Station: To be determined (Kampala being the preferred option, remote working optional)
Level: Individual contract (equivalent to P4)
In January 2014, UNICEF has set up a cross-sectoral Global Innovation Centre. The vision of the newly established Global Innovation Centre is enabling exponential change in reducing inequities and achieving programme effectiveness and results for children. It focuses on innovations that benefit the most deprived people, and the areas with the highest level of inequity, specifically focusing on technologies, tools and solutions that can be deployed and used in remote areas and by people who do not have access to feature technology.
UNICEF´s Innovation Centre focuses on development and global scale of generic solutions, and in close collaboration with UNICEF Country Offices supports the set-up and roll-out of those innovations, specifically in the following main areas:
- Real-time information: Development and scale-up of innovations to provide real-time information to UNICEF programs and increase transparency and accountability. Including RapidPro, mTrac, eduTrac, mHERO, uReport, End-use Supply monitoring, uTalk, etc.
- Access to information and Quality Learning: Development and scale-up innovative solutions to provide improved access to information and quality education. Including Digital Kiosk, Mobistation, uPortal, etc.
- Youth engagement: Scale-up of uReport and partnerships to promote youth engagement
- Other innovations: Continue to develop concepts and prototype innovative applications in new, emerging areas.
In order to achieve this, UNICEF Innovation center seeks to hire a Technology Specialist, who can specifically provide software related support towards global roll-out of Innovations.
The consultant will work with UNICEF Country Offices and support the technical development of RapidPro and other globally-supported innovations. Furthermore the consultant will also support the identification, conceptualization and prototyping of new innovations based on new technologies and the needs of UNICEF programs. As the Technology Specialist, the consultant will therefore need to work with multiple projects, partners, vendors and ongoing plus new initiatives simultaneously.
PURPOSE OF THE APPOINTMENT
To work as Senior Technology and Software Development Specialist in a team of Innovators, including Hardware, Software engineers and specific project managers,
- Responsible for supporting the technical development of software platforms and prototypes.
- Evaluate existing and new software technologies that may be applicable to UNICEF programmes.
- Individual contributor to UNICEF-supported software: coordinate roadmaps, develop features, improve test coverage, and assist with new developer and vendor onboarding.
- Support the global roll-out of real-time monitoring systems based on RapidPro
- Oversee and coordinate the technical improvements to RapidPro-based programs and other new innovations, including initial assessments, technical contracts with external vendors, orientation workshops, design and business analysis, on-site and remote support, setup and advise in contracting needs
- Monitor progress on software product development, including code reviews and oversight of vendor deliverables.
- Prepare ToR, project proposals, requirements documents, presentation materials, and product documentation.
- Prepare regular progress and final project reports
- Provide support towards RFP, LTA and contracting processes, and coordinate with external suppliers
- Represent UNICEF´s Innovation lab during high level visits and development partner meetings (Working Groups, Task Forces, etc) when requested
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION
- At least 8 years of professional technical experience. Advanced university degree in Information Systems Management, Computer Science, Technical engineering or other relevant field; or related practical experience.
- Experience in at least one modern object-oriented programming language, especially Python
- Experience with modern MVC frameworks (Django, Rails, and similar).
- Experience with mobile technology, especially Android or iOS
- Experience with mobile telephony software (RapidSMS, Kannel, Asterisk, etc).
- Experience with SMS service design and mobile web design.
- Experience with open-source databases (PostgreSQL, CouchDB, MongoDB, etc).
- Experience with system provisioning tools (Salt Stack, Ansible, Chef, etc).
- Experience working with open-source technologies and communities.
- Experience writing technical contracts
- Experience writing technical documentation
- Capable of deploying and maintaining software remotely on a Linux or UNIX-like server
- Knowledge of environment in which UNICEF operates, and understanding the constraints of working in a developing-world environment. This should include experience developing low-bandwidth applications in challenging work environments.
- Ability to align technical goals with UNICEF strategic goals – that always will mean UNICEF’s mission over any particular technology
- Willing to travel (sometimes on short notice) and develop software in the field, directly with end-users
- Experience with ICT related technologies in developing markets
- Fluency in written and verbal English is a must; competence in at least one other UN language is preferred
How to apply:
Interested and suitable candidates are requested to send their applications with Subject “Senior Technology Specialist” to: firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 10 January 2016.
Applications must include the following:
- Cover letter
- P11 (http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/P11.doc)
- expected monthly rate (gross rate)
- preferred duty station (confirmation of willingness to relocate to Kampala, Uganda, or preference to work remotely)
Incomplete applications will be disqualified. Applicants must clearly indicate the position applied for and use this order to name file attachments: Firstname_Lastname followed by document e.g. Gold_Mukasa_CV or Gold_Mukasa_CoverLetter. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.