Terms of Reference
Title: Communications Specialist (eTools Initiative)
Location of Assignment: NYHQ
Unit: Fields Result Group (FRG)
Language (s): English (knowledge of an additional language a plus)
Duration of contract: 6 months
CONTEXT AND PURPOSE
With the introduction of VISION/SAP in 2012, UNICEF transitioned from programme/project focused systems to one aimed at focusing efforts on planning, financial and human management, monitoring and evaluation at higher level results rather than on target setting for individual annual activities within projects. An accompanying system, VISION/inSight provides dashboards, management reports, data cubes and assessment module.
Even though VISION provides sufficient tools for financial management, performance and results reporting, country offices collect and manage large amounts of additional programme implementation-level and partnership data. In the absence of a corporate system that gather, store and analyze this data, many offices have developed and are using local systems and tools. The multiplicity of such systems increases the risk of data incompleteness and inaccuracy and the potential for loss of data that may be valuable for achieving programme results. Managing these systems is also labour intensive and at times, may result in staff not being able to make the best use of their time. In the absence of relevant tools, it may be challenging to collate and use data from numerous sources and systems.
Building on these country level innovations and rapidly evolving technologies, UNICEF is developing a modular platform with a number of electronic tools – eTools – that support critical functions for better management for results organizationally.
The objective is for country offices to be using a robust, scalable and modular set of eTools to support work planning, implementation monitoring, and partnership management, both in development and humanitarian contexts. This initiative will contribute to stronger management for programme results at country level, as well as accountability, through more efficient, effective and transparent work process tools.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Chief, Performance Monitoring and Accountability, FRG and in collaboration with eTools Core Team members, carry forward the communication and user community management activities of the initiative. Specifically:
- Ensure completeness and accessibility of Technical Documents for each eTools module and facilitate development of training materials, user guidance tools and job aids
- Revamp and increase staff use of the existing [and any other] knowledge bases. This may include but not be limited to:
- Collection and organisation of eTools FAQs into an interactive portal;
- Development of interactive media to create a peer support forum and help staff reach an eTools expert.
- Facilitate Global Working Group and Yammer Group discussions and webinars. This includes:
- Identifying channels and resources to ensure proactive, continuous communication, effective engagement and feedback management;
- Preparing and disseminating regular updates and (via multiple channels), on the status of eTools activities and upcoming milestone events;
- Coordinating standing user calls to announce new features, answer questions, and enable users to share their eTools experience with others.
- Identify, apply and/or develop and disseminate effective knowledge and advocacy products aimed at reaching UNICEF staff globally with engaging eTools content and tools (including user journeys, etc.)
- Act as secretariat to the eTools Project Board and Coordination Teams:
- Maintain the schedule of meetings;
- Gather/distribute background materials;
- Capture meeting decisions and ensure timely sharing of documents.
- Maintain the eTools email account (email@example.com) and keep track of issues and queries from field offices, channelling these issues to appropriate offices (including the ITSS Global Help Desk) and, track responses and closure by the relevant staff members.
- Undertake preparatory, coordination and documentation work for key global workshops that relate to the eTools initiative.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
Master’s degree or equivalent in business administration, information management, information technology, knowledge management, online communications management, or equivalent.
Work Experience/ Technical Competencies:
- At least 3-4 years of relevant work experience in the area of information management, user community management, e-business development, knowledge management and strategic online communication development.
- Experience in developing digital services and/or collaborative workspaces is desirable.
- Superior technical writing skills
- Familiarity working with software and/or hardware product development teams
- Knowledge of SAP (or other ERP) is desirable.
- Experience with SharePoint, UserVoice and Yammer is desirable.
- Experience with moderating virtual discussions
- Knowledge of UN Staff rules and regulations, policies and procedures.
Values and Competencies:
Our Core Values reflect attitudes and convictions that are shared across all UNICEF staff and include:
Core Values (Required)
Core Competencies (Required)
- Communication [level 1]
- Drive for results [level 2]
- Working with people [level 1]
Functional Competencies (Required)
- Analysing [level 2]
- Applying Technical Expertise [level 1]
- Planning and Organising [level 1]
- Following Instructions and Procedures [level 1]
- Creating and Innovating [level 1]
- Discretion, diplomacy, courtesy and tact.
- Attention to detail and ability to work independently, plan activities well in advance and exercise judgment.
- Fluency in English required, working knowledge of another UN language is desirable.
Application: Interested candidates are requested to submit by December 04, 2015 a Curriculum Vitae, P-11 and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject ‘Application – TA Communications Specialist’.