Vacancy: U-Report Coordination Associate
Global Innovation Centre
Duration: 11.5 months
Duty Station: Flexible
Level: Individual contract (equivalent to P3 / NO-C)
In 2010 UNICEF launched its flagship youth engagement tool U-Report in Uganda (www.ureport.ug). Since then, U-Report has expanded to 16 countries with 1,000,000 young people registered and interacting via SMS and Twitter.
In 2014, UNICEF launched a new solutions platform called RapidPro. RapidPro is the platform that powers U-Report across the majority of countries where it exists. Based on the RapidPro platform young people can now join U-Report from anywhere in the world. Soon, a U-Report app will be available globally as well as additional digital channels to Twitter.
The expansion of the U-Report program throughout Asia, Latin American and globally is a priority for 2015 and onwards. UNICEF is seeking a U-Report Coordination Associate to support the U-Report team in managing global coordination, supporting country offices, and ensure we successfully reach the 3 Strategic Objectives of U-Report
- Scale the programme through new and existing territories
- Engage U-Reporters
- Apply crowd-sourced data from U-Report to achieve positive social change.
RapidPro is an open-source platform of applications that can help governments deliver rapid and vital real-time information and connect communities to lifesaving services. Its flow-based system enables users to quickly and intuitively create customized information and response flows to address any substantive area, or to easily reuse existing solutions. Existing solutions cover gathering real-time information and providing life-impacting content on education, immunization, and health systems strengthening, with potentially limitless solutions. The website rapidpro.io provides detailed information on the solution and its deployment, and it is it the successful implementation in EAPR and SAR regions that will be the focus of this consultancy.
U-Report is a mature, youth engagement solution deployed in 17 countries serving more than 1 million young people. Many more countries and young people, along with new interfaces to U-Report are scheduled to come onboard. Supporting new countries to ensure successful launches will be the focus of this consultancy.
This is how it works:
- Young people simply message the word “JOIN” via SMS or Twitter to a toll-free number/account and become U-Reporters after answering a short series of questions to build their profile in the system.
- Regular polls are sent out to U-Reporters for their opinions on important social issues.
- Incoming messages are analyzed, sorted, and displayed on a dashboard.
- U-Reporters receive feedback and additional information regarding each week’s poll.
- Results are broadcast for U-Reporters and the general public via that country’s U-Report website (full list of sites found here: www.ureport.in)
In Uganda – the first country to deploy U-Report – hundreds of thousands of youth and their government are linked through U-Report — prompting policy changes and strengthening UNICEF programmes. In Nigeria, a rapidly growing base of U-Reporters have been voicing their thoughts on health and economic related issues–becoming a key group of social mobilizers in the effort to raise awareness about the Ebola epidemic. Based on new developments U-Report is now available globally, from any country on Twitter or via the U-Report app and Global Innovation Centre (GIC) is making a concerted effort to scale this programme through awareness raising, partnerships and social media.
The UNICEF Global Innovation Centre is managing an integrated approach to deploying RapidPro and U-Report globally. In order to meet the existing demand from Country Offices for ongoing support as well as demand for countries that are about to launch U-Report, the Global Innovation Centre requires particular expertise in fulfilling the vision of creating these channel for the global voice of youth around development issues for social good.
PURPOSE OF THE APPOINTMENT
To advise and support country offices by:
- Present U-Report strategy and key principles to country offices and review subsequent concept notes, comment and pass comments back.
- Hold regular planning sessions with global partners such as the Girl Guides and the Scouts and future partners to coordinate messaging, polls and recruitment into the digital U-Report platform.
- Document lessons learned and distribute to country offices and innovation teams working with U-Report.
- Advising Country Offices on budgetary requirements to launch and sustain U-Report.
- Work with private sector companies such as Twitter and Viber to scale the U-Report projects in country and globally.
- Support country offices in building partnership work-plans.
- Create and maintain ethical communication practices and roll out through the U-Report country leads.
- Host monthly calls with all 17 U-Report countries and discuss case studies, best practices and provide advice and guidance on any challenges countries are experiencing.
- Support the design phase of local U-Report programmes.
- Understand and work with telecoms and digital technology companies at the global levels, in order to support country offices in technical troubleshooting.
- Provide training remotely and in person to UNICEF country office teams on use of RapidPro for U-Report.
- Finalise Monitoring and Evaluation structures based on testing in Chile and roll out to other countries launching U-Report
- Liaise with LTA vendors on platform development, bug issues and troubleshooting.
- Work with country offices to troubleshoot technical issues and the development of program needs on RapidPro.
- Work with the Global U-Report Coordinator on recruiting young people into the global U-Report programme.
- Help promote, maintain and improve the U-Report app.
- Support country offices in building cross-sectional youth engagement strategies via U-Report as guided by the Global U-Report Coordinator.
- Work with internet.org counterparts to ensure U-Report content is optimized for the platform.
- Coordinate country needs for technical requirements of U-Report technology for future iterations and vendor contracts.
- Develop a toolkit for country offices considering U-Report set up and use.
- Consult with Innovation colleagues on drafts of all documents.
- Work with country offices to help develop poll questions to collect data that can be used for monitoring of the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Liaise with sister UN agencies to share data and reporting around children’s issues relating to the Global Goals.
- Advise NGOs and sister UN agencies on how to approach U-Report set up and leadership.
- Provide input into future strategy and development plans for the U-Report project.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION
- At least 5 years of experience working within organizational management.
- Experience working with youth groups and civil society organisations
- Experience working with RapidPro and U-Report specifically will be a strong advantage.
- Experience working in a team from a variety of cultures.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills with experience in consensus building and in motivating cross-functional teams to meet ambitious project goals and timelines;
- Able to work independently, has sound judgment and strong organizational skills.
- Experience working with a web based platforms
- Experience in creating or managing content for young people is a strong plus;
- Experience in managing websites.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships;
- Ability to travel, occasionally to remote locations;
- Fluency in written and verbal English is a must, and written and verbal Spanish is highly desirable
- Bachelor’s degree, ideally in communications, journalism, or a related field; Master’s degree preferred.
How to apply:
Interested and suitable candidates are requested to send their applications, including Cover letter, expected monthly rate (gross rate including any allowances), P11 (http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/P11.doc) and CV with Subject “U-Report Coordination Associate” to: email@example.com on or before 25 October 2015. Applicants must clearly indicate the position applied for and use this order to name file attachments: Firstname_Lastname followed by document e.g. Gold_Mukasa_CV or Gold_Mukasa_CoverLetter. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Visit us at www.unicef.org/innovation