Terms of Reference
Title: RapidPro User Community & Content Management Fellow, Global Innovation Centre
Duration: 3-6 months
Duty Station: UNICEF Global Innovation Centre, Kampala, Uganda or New York, NY
Level: Volunteer (unpaid)
Since 2007, UNICEF has been a global leader in leveraging technology to advance development goals. Initially a small team within the Division of Communications, UNICEF Innovation currently exists as a highly distributed network of innovation labs, designers, developers, programme managers, academics and private-sector partners. The team focuses on:
- Identifying program needs and linking them to innovative technologies and methodologies;
- Building the capacity of programme colleagues at the country, regional and global levels, enabling them to identify and assess opportunities for the use of innovations;
- Advising government counterparts;
- Creating and strengthening partnerships, and supporting capacity building with local and regional stakeholders;
- Managing the design and development of software and hardware products;
- Supporting the roll-out of innovative programmes and initiatives.
In January 2014, UNICEF created the cross-sectoral Global Innovation Centre. Based in Nairobi, Kenya, the vision of the Centre is to create transformative outcomes in reducing inequities and achieving programme effectiveness. It focuses on innovations that benefit the most marginalized people, using technologies, tools and solutions that can be deployed in remote areas and by people who do not have access to feature technology.
As part of this effort, the Global Innovation Centre recently launched RapidPro – a globally supported communication engine that will power the majority of UNICEF’s mobile services. With the strong uptake of RapidPro by country offices and UNICEF partners, the Global Innovation Centre looks to build a wealth of resource content and a user community portal for anyone from any background to learn, explore, share, and contribute to the use and evolution of RapidPro. The Global Innovation Centre, thus, seeks a fellow who can manage the development of these resources and create the framework for managing the user community.
PURPOSE OF THE APPOINTMENT
To manage user-generated content and engage users on the RapidPro community website.
Users can submit content in the following ways:
- Disqus comments
- User forums supported by UserVoice
- Widget supported by UserVoice
- submit an idea
- vote on features
- create and maintain community support resources, including knowledge base articles from user-generated FAQ and user forums
- monitor user forums and suggestions from the widget for frequently reported problems (and solutions) and escalate to Product Manager for high-level action with Engineering team
- review, edit, collaborate with authors, and post user-generated content from blogs, stories, marketplace
- cross-post to the RapidPro blog from unicefstories.org and other channels with information relevant to RapidPro and obtain written permission from original authors
- monitor comments posted on the blog
- develop a process manual to define best practices for managing the RapidPro content base & online user community
- lead outreach engagements for driving user feedback and support onto the RapidPro user forum and/or knowledge base
- develop marketing material for showcasing features of RapidPro website
- develop process manual for managing the RapidPro content base & online user community
UNICEF Global Innovation Centre, Kampala, Uganda or UNICEF Innovation Unit Headquarters, New York, NY
Stefan Bock (Head of Global Innovation Lab, Kampala), with day-to-day supervision by Kidus Asfaw (Global Product Manager)
DELIVERABLES AND DEADLINES
Month 1: RapidPro user community outreach and management
Month 2: Maintain regular posts on the new RapidPro website
Month 3: Process manual for managing the RapidPro content base & online user community
Work covered under this TOR will be an unpaid volunteer service. All expenses, including international and in-country travel, accommodation, general living expenses, travel and health insurance will be the responsibility of the volunteer.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION
One to three years of professional experience. Experience managing online communities and/or managing web content is a must.
Additional Experience and Knowledge:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with editing experience
- Project Manager who is comfortable coordinating between multiple parties.
- Experience working in/for low-resource settings
- Familiarity with real time information technologies
- Experience with processing large amount of information and synthesizing it
- Ability to work in a team and in a diverse work environment.
Fluency in English.
How to apply:
Interested and suitable candidates should send their applications, including Cover letter and CV with Subject “RapidPro User Community & Content Management Fellow” to: email@example.com on or before 24 July 2015. Applicants must clearly indicate the position applied for and use this order to name file attachments: Firstname_Lastname followed by document e.g. Gold_Mukasa_CV or Gold_Mukasa_CoverLetter. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Visit us: www.unicef.org/innovation