UNICEF is currently undertaking a Development, Scaleup and Deployment of its Field Focused solutions (20/20 Initiative) built using open source technologies. We currently require an experienced Python/Django developer to build and maintain web-based applications hosted in Cloud environments. The successful candidate will assist in the development, deployment and maintenance of several enterprise applications/modules built on Python/Django stack using open source toolsets and technologies. This position will be responsible for design and implementation of a range of new capabilities built on top of our platform. The candidate is expected to work with internal data APIs, web services and Integration (internal and external) platforms to create flexible and scalable web-applications. The candidate is expected to be well versed in both front end and backend technologies.
This position will be based at UNICEF’s New York Headquarters. You will report to a Lead Developer and work within a team dedicated to this new initiative within UNICEF. The team you will be working in will include Front End Developers, Business SMEs, Functional Analysts, and Integration Analysts, System administrators, Technical Architects, Mobile developers and other QA developers.
The specific tasks to be accomplished are:
- Development of new modules and functionality for 20/20 Initiative based upon agreed upon scope and requirements.
- Plan, architect, integrate, and develop back-end and database driven features using the Python language and frameworks (Django, Django Rest Framework etc)
- Conduct code reviews and coordinate the test and release of code to build and test environments.
- Develop and maintain scripts and tools to build, test, package and deploy applications to development, staging, and production environments
- Develop self-documenting code that is cross-browser and cross-platform friendly with emphasis on responsive design.
- Collaborate with project team members to ensure all requirements are met
- Support, maintenance and ongoing development for existing deployed applications and projects.
- Coordinate and Perform tests according to an established test plan and document results.
- Create project specific documentation and artifacts as per UNICEF’ standards. Create technical documentation on completed work.
- Act as mentor and assist in building internal capacity and expertise within the team. Ensure knowledge transfer and technical handover to UNICEF staff.
The skills and experience required for this assignment are:
- At least 3+ Experience in developing Web applications using Python, Django, jQuery, Open Source frameworks with either MySQL, PostgreSQL, or Couchbase.
- Experience in developing and consuming web services (WCF, SOAP, REST), Setup and Deployment of cloud based applications using Docker preferred.
- Working knowledge and experience Software development lifecycle, and methodologies (Agile, Waterfall).
- Integration with diverse applications using integration frameworks, web services and APIs.
- Experience working in projects having integration with Cloud providers and products (Amazon, Azure, Rackspace etc.). Familiarity with basic system administration functions.
- Past experience with open source projects a plus
- Ability to be a self-starter and to work with minimum supervision
- Experience in a multi-cultural and gender sensitive work environment
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work with a team as well as independently. Ability to interface, collaborate with technical staff and designers.
- Prior background and work experience in UN environment desirable.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants are requested to submit their applications along with a cover letter, CV and P-11 form (http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/P11.doc) no later than 24 July 2015. Only short listed candidates will be contacted. Depending on the outcome of the selection process, the contract will be awarded to an individual or a corporate. Click here to apply.
U. S. citizens and all those authorized to work in the U.S. are encouraged to apply. The Organization does not sponsor for the H1 Visa.