UNICEF is currently undertaking a Development, Scale up and Deployment of its Field Focused solutions (20/20 Initiative) built using open source technologies. We currently require an experienced iOS/Android/Cross-platform mobile applications developer to build and maintain web and mobile based applications targeted for mobile devices. The successful candidate will assist in the development, deployment and maintenance of several enterprise mobile applications built using open source toolsets and technologies. This position will be responsible for design and implementation of a range of new capabilities built on top of our platform. The candidate is expected to work with internal data APIs, web services and Integration (internal and external) platforms to create flexible and scalable cross platform web and mobile applications.
This position will be based at UNICEF’s New York Headquarters. You will report to a Lead Developer and work within a team dedicated to this new initiative within UNICEF. The team you will be working in will include a Front End Developers, Business SMEs, Functional Analysts, and Integration Analysts, System administrators, Technical Architects, Mobile developers and other QA developers.
The specific tasks to be accomplished are:
- Development of mobile/web front ends and cross platform clients with online/offline functionality for 20/20 Initiative based upon agreed upon scope and requirements.
- Plan, architect, integrate, and develop intuitive and user friendly cross platform applications targeting mobile and tablet devices.
- Collaborate with users in the design process providing input to system design, information architecture, site navigation, and user interaction
- Rapidly build prototypes/simulations from mockups that can be directly implemented
- Create clean interfaces and smooth interactions based on UI/UX designs and documentation for a range of devices, including mobiles, tablets and desktops.
- Perform cross-browser/device testing and optimization
- Develop well documented code that is cross-browser and cross-platform friendly with emphasis on responsive design.
- Create and build cross platform mobile applications using cross platform SDKs. (Phonegap and others)
- Deploy mobile applications to internal Enterprise App stores (Android, iOS.)
- Support, maintenance and ongoing development for existing applications and projects
- Create project specific documentation and artifacts as per UNICEF’ standards. Create technical documentation on completed work.
- Act as mentor and assist in building internal capacity and expertise within the team. Ensure knowledge transfer and technical handover to UNICEF staff.
The skills and experience required for this assignment are:
- At least 3+ years’ professional Android and/or iOS software development (phone and tablet) experience using Android and/or iOS or cross platform SDKs.
- Experience using libraries and frameworks like: Angular, Backbone, Ember, React, Jquery a plus.
- Expertise in developing single page applications using techniques including front-end routing, client-side templating, consuming JSON-based RESTful APIs
- Working knowledge (preferably having prior experience) of cross platform mobile frameworks like Phonegap, Sencha, Xamarin or Apache Cordova.
- Integration with diverse applications using integration frameworks, web services and APIs.
- Working knowledge and experience Software development lifecycle, and methodologies (Agile, Waterfall), Object Oriented programming principles as applicable to mobile app development.
- Working experience with version control systems (GIT).
- Prior experience in working with open source projects a plus
- Strong project management skills and an ability to function as a project leader; able to work well in cross-functional teams
- Ability to be a self-starter and to work with minimum supervision
- Experience in a multi-cultural and gender sensitive work environment
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal, Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work with a team as well as independently. Ability to interface, collaborate with technical staff and designers.
- Must be able to demonstrate a solid understanding of test driven development and be familiar with at least one framework.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants are requested to submit their applications along with a cover letter cover letter, CV and P-11 form (http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/P11.doc) no later than 24 July 2015. Only short listed candidates will be contacted. Depending on the outcome of the selection process, the contract will be awarded to an individual or a corporate. Click here to apply.
U.S. citizens and all those authorized to work in the U.S. are encouraged to apply. The Organization does not sponsor for the H1 Visa.