Terms of Reference
UNICEF Innovation Unit, New York
Consultancy Assignment: To manage the organisation and execution of strategic events for UNICEF Innovation
- Are you a self-starter who doesn’t wait to be told what to do?
- Can you manage huge projects from start to end — conceptualizing the big picture while ensuring the important little details are executed perfectly?
- Can you think on your feet and respond to evolving situations and complications with poise and grace?
- Do you know the latest and greatest tools and technologies to make event planning and the overall experience seem modern and cool?
We are seeking a top-notch, organized, professional, motivated and capable event coordinator to help UNICEF’s Innovation Unit successfully conceptualize, plan, coordinate and execute a number of important events throughout 2015.
UNICEF has been innovating for children for more than 50 years. The work in this area is led by an Innovation Unit in New York that supports the organization – and particularly our 135 country offices – in finding solutions for the world’s most vulnerable children. The work includes both policy and practice of innovation in UNICEF, and the larger UN. UNICEF is engaged in testing and scaling up new partnerships, technologies, and collaborations in some of the world’s most difficult operating environments. Since 2007 UNICEF’s Innovation Unit has worked with partners to develop open-source, equity-focused solutions including those that have created nationwide systems for realtime information on children in countries throughout East Africa, realtime tracking of the distribution of more than 25 million insecticide treated mosquito nets in Nigeria; and mentored and supported more than 1,000 youth entrepreneurship projects through the Kosovo Innovation Lab
UNICEF has a system of innovation facilities throughout the organization including:
- Innovation Unit in New York: to support UNICEF programmes on the ground and the organisation at large through partnerships, technologies, and connections
- Innovation node in San Francisco: to build partnerships with the technology sector
- Global Innovation Centre in Nairobi: to scale-up and implement proven, successful innovations globally and foster collaboration among entities in the global south
- A network of Innovation Labs around the world: to bring together the private sector, academia, and the public sector to develop solutions for key social issues, and ensure we are always watching for new ideas from unexpected places.
UNICEF is seeking to hire an organized, professional, motivated and capable event coordinator to help UNICEF’s Innovation Unit successfully conceptualize, plan, coordinate and execute a number of important events throughout 2015. This person will need to manage the internal conversations and coordination of strategic, externally-facing events for UNICEF Innovations. These events will serve to raise the profile of UNICEF’s innovation work, develop new partnerships including for South-South collaboration and connect innovators to resources to support scale-up of new solutions.
Duty Station and Duration
The consultant will work full time and will be based out of New York for an eleven-month period, starting as soon as possible. The work may require travel as needed.
Responsibilities and Deliverables:
Under the supervision of the Co-Lead, Innovation Unit, the consultant will be responsible to fulfil the following deliverables:
- Provide overall project management for six strategic events to support the achievement of their objectives – including development, implementation and monitoring of workplans, related partnerships and project budgets
- Act as primary focal point for all internal and external stakeholders related to strategic events
- Coordinate technical input from across the Innovation Unit, Country Offices, Innovation Labs and Divisions across UNICEF for each event
- Lead the logistics, coordination and execution of the six events, including:
- Process for identification and selection of participants
- Invitation processes, including tracking of responses and follow-up
- Drafting of all supporting documents including save the dates, invitations, concept notes, event outlines and agendas
- Identification and management of vendors
- External communications including event websites, social media, publicity working closely alongside the UNICEF Innovation Communications Lead
- Coordination of event staff, assigning tasks and responsibilities pre, during and post event.
- Handling logistics around booking venues and working with vendors
- Maintain and update information on shared drives
- Provide excellent service when working with guests and coworkers
- Provide content and support to the Innovation Unit Visual Strategy and Communications Teams for external and internal communications for strategic events
Qualifications and Experience:
- Advanced degree in in one of the following fields: event planning, communications, social sciences communication, public relations, business administration and management.
- At least five (5) years of progressively responsible experience and a track record in project management, event planning and/or partnerships and initiatives in a development/ governmental/non-profit organisation
- Strong leadership skills; capacity to prioritise and manage a diverse range of partners, projects and activities
- Familiarity with social media, technology and communication technologies required
- Ability to work in a team, in a diverse work environment and on simultaneous projects.
- Familiarity with UNICEF Innovation’s work an asset
- Prior experience in working on children’s issues an asset
- Demonstrated planning, budget monitoring, communication and writing skills
- Demonstrates a personable and humble attitude and can work well with many personalities.
– Motivated, self-starter, problem solver
– Working with People
– Drive for Results
– Formulating Strategies and Concepts
– Relating and Networking
– Persuading and Influencing
– Entrepreneurial Thinking
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified candidates who want to make an active and lasting contribution to build a better world for children are requested to send a cover letter, a curriculum vitae in English, a monthly rate, and a United Nations Personal History Form (P-11) to email@example.com by 7 July 2015, making reference to “UNICEF Innovation Event Coordinator”. Applications submitted without a monthly rate will not be considered.