Terms of Reference
Title: TA Innovation Specialist
Vacancy No: E-VN-2015-001442
Location: Amman, Jordan
Job level: P-3
Position #: TAJORINNO
Application close: 30 June, 2015
Contract: Temp/Short-term Staff
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 60 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Position
Innovation is mainstreamed as a core strategy across each of the UNICEF programme sections in the Country Office. The Innovation Specialist is responsible for coordinating and facilitating this mainstreaming effort guided by the Representative and Deputy Representative and for providing ongoing technical support to each programme team in the design and implementation of their respective Innovation flagship initiative(s) in close coordination with NYHQ Innovation Unit and Regional Office where applicable.
Key Expected Results
- Coordinate and provide support on overall innovation strategy/action plan, including formulation, design, planning and implementation in close collaboration with NYHQ Innovation Unit and Regional Office where applicable.
- Proactively scout for new innovative ideas and opportunities within UNICEF, among its partners and externally and include them in the innovation action plan. In particular look at innovations that can be implemented in an integrated fashion across sections.
- Identify opportunities for resource mobilisation and new partnerships and lead proposal and partnership development efforts in close collaboration with NYHQ Innovation Unit and Regional Office where applicable.
- Develop partnerships and network with local innovators, youth orgasizations, NGOs, cultural and religious organisations, the private sector, local media and academia to build and provide a space to nurture and test new and innovative ideas, develop the next generation of thought leaders and build local capacity
- Coordinate and support development and testing of innovation products and processes to strengthen and improve efficiency and effectiveness of UNICEF’s programming, monitoring and evaluation, advocacy and communication. More specifically, provide technical support for deployment of RapidPro – UNICEF’s latest mobile phone based system for real-time data collection, including negotiations with mobile network companies and other service providers.
- Advise in cooperation with PM&E on and lead the effective and innovative ways to present ad package data in a way it promote the use of evidence for decision making
- Train UNICEF staff, partner staff, government counterparts and other end users in the country in the use of innovation products and processes.
- Document tested innovation projects and processes and ensure effective sharing and generation of knowledge around innovations in the Country Office as well as with UNICEF global innovation network.
- Represent the Country Office in the UNICEF global/regional innovation network for information sharing and leverage experiences of innovation colleagues in other Country Offices as well as at the global level.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Master’s degree in Social Sciences, International Relations, Social Policy, Social Development, Community Development, Information Technology, or other relevant disciplines.
2. WORK EXPERIENCE
- Five years of progressively responsible professional work experience at the national and international levels in programme management, monitoring and evaluation.
- Experience in start-up companies/organisations is an asset. Entrepreneurial failures are considered as valuable experience.
- Experience in project management and rolling out of large scale projects especially in hard to reach areas in developing countries is highly desirable.
- Proven capacity to work with and lead collaborative teams across different locations and with different technical skills
- A strong understanding of UNICEF’s mission and vision as well as its programmes through direct or indirect work experience with UNICEF.
- Proven ability to manage relationships with partners, including government ministries, youth coalitions, universities, intellectual leaders, UN organizations, NGOs and the private sector
- Strong writing and communication skills and the aptitude to handle competing messages and priorities with multiple audiences
- Proven technical experience in development and use of innovative technology, particularly in the areas of data, mobiles and open source, and training in the related field. Familiarity with information systems and communication technologies is an asset.
- Fluency in English (written & verbal) is required.
- Knowledge of Arabic is an asset.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Entrepreneurial, creative, and innovative thinker who can also translate ideas into practical applications
- Strong leadership and teamwork skills
- Supervisory and managerial skills
- Analytical, negotiating, communication and advocacy skills.
- Project management skills including task prioritization, budget monitoring
- Ability to work with a diverse set of partners to create problem specifications, system requirements, and implement innovations on a national scale
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the organization.
To apply, click here.
* The successful candidate for this emergency recruitment MUST be available to commence work within 31 days of receiving an offer.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.