Terms of Reference
Title: International Real-time Monitoring Developer (Consultant)
Location: Abuja and remotely
Language Required: English
Type of Appointment: Special Service Agreement (SSA) for 4 months
United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), Nigeria is pleased to announce the following vacancy for suitably qualified non-Nigerian candidates as follows:
If you are a passionate and committed professional and want to make a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
Background/ Purpose of Assignment:
The objective of this consultancy service is to strengthen GEP3 monitoring system towards the establishment of functional and effective evidence generation and tracking mechanism through the design and development of real-time monitoring system with the following features – mobile device-based, cloud-based, open source supported platform, compatible to all standard databases. The system will be built around the overall architecture of UNICEF GEP3 intervention monitoring database to be used as a reliable data sources for tracking, monitoring and assessing progress made within GEP3, including for the Value for Money (VfM) analysis. The real-time monitoring system will support GEP3 evidence generation and tracking for effective evidence-based monitoring of GEP3 key interventions – FTTSS, Enrolment Drive validation, SBMC effectiveness monitoring, tracking school attendance, and tracking all of training participants – teachers, SBMCs members, leading to improved management of information.
The system will comprise both offline and online data collection mechanism with transparent data integration and a data synchronization system between both server and client— end-user sides, and keeping the same level of quality of service offered. The system design should be component / service oriented and a 3-tier architecture.
The server layer level will be composed of set of flexible frameworks which can be customized to generate data interfaces for mobile devices for any specific data collection instrument relevant to the Girls’ Education Project Phase 3 without any additional investment in terms of IT development. To include new user requirements and or data needs, news items and components related to the existing data collection exercise (for a specific year and period) or new specific survey, can be uploaded dynamically and in a flexible manner into the system using a metadata-description mechanism—dictionary, and adjusting the GEP3 intervention database structure. The system will include reporting functionalities— data visualization, security management— each authorized user will access only to his/her assigned workspace according to its rights and responsibilities, and flexible data extraction module.
At client side both secured online and offline data capture should be allow. Any configured client— running on a smartphone, will be automatically updated if required remotely after establishment of secured connection to GEP3 Real-time hosted server. Data entry performed offline will be stored locally and synchronized with the central database – both through internet connection and or via SMS with a proper data exchange protocol.
Reporting to the GEP M&E Manager, the consultant will be responsible for designing, developing, and testing the GEP 3 real-time monitoring system prior to its deployment for effective use in target project states (Bauchi, Katsina, Niger, Sokoto and Zamfara) within the Girls’ Education Project Phase 3 (GEP3)
Major tasks to be accomplished:
- Review existing M&E tools and its alignment with GEP3 intervention database
- Revised M&E tools to include identified information gaps
- GEP3 intervention database structure adjusted based on the identified data gaps
- GEP3 intervention database physical structure finalized
- Conceptual and technical architecture with regards to the design and implementation of real-time framework in compliance with technical specifications
- Conceptual and technical documentation on how to develop the solution including development technical environment
- Dictionary model and structure for keeping any survey or data collection business case finalized
- Description of the system architecture and component and component integration approaches
- Develop all score functionalities of real-time monitoring system
- Metadata dictionary database for any survey business case description reviewed and fine tuned
- Both offline and online version finalized – Android and web supported
- Data entry forms generation framework finalized and tested
- User interface administration, user rights management and customization modules finalized
- Data integration and synchronization modules finalized and testes
- Reporting and data extraction modules finalized and tested
- FTTSS, Enrollment Drive validation, SBMC effectiveness monitoring, tracking school attendance, and tracking all of training participants data collection interface customized and loaded
- Support testing, deployment and capacity building
- Functional real-time monitoring system tested and deployed— both client and server sides
- Enhanced capacity of UNICEF staffs and GEP3 M&E consultants on real-time monitoring system use, administration and management
- Technical manuals developed – user guide and administration manual
Qualifications or specialized knowledge/experience required:
- Advanced degree in ICT, M&E, Information Management, computer science or related fields.
- At least 5 years professional experience with ICT, M&E or Information Management.
- Competent in relational database design such as MS-Access or MS SQL Server with broad understanding of information management systems and technology,
- Extensive knowledge and skills of computer programs applications, particularly in the area of database management system (e.g.: SQL programming)
- Demonstrated experience developing innovative information technology solutions for developing countries.
- Previous experience developing data systems for mobile devices and familiarity working with open source applications and mobile platforms.
- Communicates effectively, both orally and in writing, to varied audiences,
- Able to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment, sets high standards for quality of work and consistently achieves project goals.
- Fluency in English language and writing skills
Candidates interested in the above position should submit his/her application, accompanied by an updated CV in English and a completed United Nations Personal History Form, (which can be downloaded from our website at www.unicef.org/employ) to the email address below on or before Monday 08 June 2015. Email: email@example.com
Please put the position title you are applying for on the subject line of your email.
UNICEF, a smoke-free environment, is committed to gender equality in its mandate and its staff. Well qualified candidates, particularly women are strongly encouraged to apply. Zero tolerance of sexual abuse and exploitation is our policy.