Terms of Reference
Title: Innovation Research Volunteer
Location: UNICEF Supply Division/ Copenhagen, Denmark
Duration of Initial Contract: 1 year period
Starting Date: 17th August, 2015
Application Deadline: 28th June, 2015
UNICEF Supply Division, Copenhagen, Denmark
At UNICEF Supply Division (SD), specialists across the organisation conduct many Product Innovation Projects. The Innovation Unit’s role is to work with the different SD centres, offering support and assistance to efficiently develop ideas and concepts into procurable solutions for UNICEF’s worldwide programmes. Each project requires a vast amount of research and analysis of the current and future market, hence the requirement of this volunteership. More information on the type of innovation projects led by UNICEF SD can be found at www.innovateforchildren.org.
The SD Innovation Unit seeks a full-time volunteer for a 1 year period starting 17th August 2015.
Based in Copenhagen, the main purpose of the position is to:
Support the development of SD’s innovation projects by:
- Acting as an extra resource to innovation project leads for areas such as research, desk reviews and data analysis.
- Supporting the Innovation Unit by ensuring progress in project development.
- Becoming a significant actor in assisting project activities.
The position will report to the Project Assistant (Innovation), Director’s Office.
It is important to note that as with all volunteers with UNICEF, this volunteership is unpaid.
Main Duties/ Responsibilities
Within the delegated authority and the given organisational set-up, the incumbent may be accountable for all or assigned areas of the following major duties:
- Conduct market surveys, research and analysis of a range of different product and commodity areas.
- Mapping of innovative, pre-commercial/incomplete/in development designs to better understand the future landscape for required commodity areas.
- Offering support to project leads for the development of innovation projects.
- Assist the Innovation Unit in any additional tasks as a required by the unit.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
Registered in, or recently completed a Masters level program in engineering, product design, market research and analysis or other related disciplines with a substantive research component.
- Experience in market survey and analysis of engineering and technology products useful.
- Experience in project management.
- Active and up to date knowledge of modern, innovative materials and technologies.
- Ability to quickly understand instructions, asks for clarification when needed, adapt and work independently to produce results on time.
- Effective communicator of verbal and written concepts to international audiences.
- Able to work well in a team environment with colleagues in Copenhagen, New York and worldwide Country Offices.
- Able to work independently and problem solving oriented.
- Gather comprehensive information to support decision making.
- Analyse numerical data and all other sources of information.
- Good communication skills.
- Knowledge of standard MS Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Computer skills, including internet navigation and web applications.
Fluency in written and spoken English is essential and in another UN language is an advantage.
UNICEF CORE VALUES
Diversity and Inclusion
Treats all people with dignity and respect; shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, cultural and religious differences; challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace; encourages diversity wherever possible.
Maintains high ethical standards; takes clear ethical stands; keeps promises; immediately addresses untrustworthy or dishonest behaviour; resists pressure in decision-making from internal and external sources; does not abuse power or authority.
Demonstrates commitment to UNICEF’s mission and to the wider UN system; demonstrates the values of UNICEF in daily activities and behaviours; seeks out new challenges, assignments and responsibilities; promotes UNICEF’s cause.
Qualified candidates are requested to submit:
- Cover letter/ application.
- Examples of previous, relevant work.
- P11 form (which can be downloaded from our website).
Applications are to be sent to: email@example.com with subject line “Innovation Research Intern” by 28th June 2015, 23:59 CET.