VACANCY – Technical Writer
Global Innovation Centre
Duration: 11 months
Duty Station: UNICEF Global Innovation Lab, Kampala, Uganda
Level: Individual contract (equivalent to P3 / NO-C)
Since 2007 UNICEF has been a global leader in leveraging technology to advance development goals. Initially a small team within the Division of Communications, UNICEF Innovation currently exists as a highly distributed network of innovation labs, designers, developers, programme managers, academics and private-sector partners. The team focuses on:
- Identifying program needs and linking them to innovative technologies and methodologies;
- Building the capacity of programme colleagues at the country, regional and global levels, enabling them to identify and assess opportunities for the use of innovations;
- Advising government counterparts;
- Creating and strengthening partnerships, and supporting capacity building with local and regional stakeholders;
- Managing the design and development of software and hardware products;
- Supporting the roll-out of innovative programmes and initiatives.
In January 2014, UNICEF created the cross-sectoral Global Innovation Centre. Based in Kampala, Uganda, the vision of the Center is to create transformative outcomes in reducing inequities and achieving programme effectiveness. It focuses on innovations that benefit the most marginalized people, using technologies, tools and solutions that can be deployed in remote areas and by people who do not have access to feature technology.
As part of this effort, the Global Innovation recently launched RapidPro – a globally supported communication engine that will power the majority of UNICEF’s mobile services. With the strong uptake of RapidPro and its associated globally supported apps, the Global Innovation Centre looks to build a wealth of resource content for anyone to learn, explore, share, and contribute to the use and evolution of RapidPro and its apps. The Global Innovation Centre, thus, seeks a technical writer to professionally print and web-based content around product specifications, user guides/manuals, and case studies.
PURPOSE OF THE APPOINTMENT
To manage the development of print and web-based product resources, including:
- product handbooks for all globally rolled out and supported tools;
- help develop content for product features and user-generated tips & tricks;
- technical manuals for setup and configuration of hardware & software tools;
- design specifications for hardware products;
- case studies and deployment experiences of products by UNICEF;
- copywriter’s manual and documentation guidelines for all technical documents produced.
- produce standards and guidelines for technical documents published by the Global Innovation Centre (GIC);
- embed in product development activities and serve as a resource for gathering and articulating technical knowledge of team into a packaged document for every product;
- develop content for the RapidPro resource website, including:
- knowledge base
- case studies
- RapidPro app showcases
- create technical handover documents for products being transferred over to external parties (ie partners, other UNICEF groups, governments, industry);
- collaborate in the development of open design documents for hardware projects;
- liaise with UNICEF Innovation Visual Strategy team on design and communication activities involving globally rolled-out and supported products.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION
Three to five years of professional experience as a technical writer. Experience with producing detailed technical product documentation in short turnaround windows. A sharp eye for detail, research skills and the ability to work under strict deadlines is a must. At minimum, must possess a bachelors degree in English, journalism, communications, or a related field. Education/work experience in engineering/technical fields is a major plus.
Additional Experience and Knowledge:
- Technical Writer who is comfortable coordinating between multiple teams.
- Superior technical writing skills
- Experience working in/for low-resource settings
- Familiarity working with software and/or hardware product development teams
- Superior command of the English language
- Experience with processing large amount of information and synthesizing it
- Ability to work in a team and in a diverse work environment.
Fluency in English.
How to apply:
Interested and suitable candidates should send their applications, including Cover letter, P11, CV, and 3 writing samples with Subject “Technical Writer” to: email@example.com on or before 23 February 2015. Applicants must clearly indicate the position applied for and use this order to name file attachments: Firstname_Lastname followed by document e.g. Gold_Mukasa_CV or Gold_Mukasa_CoverLetter. Only short listed candidates will be contacted, at which time writing and typing test will be conducted.