In 2013, UNICEF procured $2.839 billion worth of supplies and services from all over the world on behalf of governments and other partners to address the needs of children. Much of UNICEF Supply Division’s (SD) work focuses on working with suppliers and a range of partners to ensure the availability of life-saving products. SD’s work in product innovation enables the development of new products or the improvement of existing ones, hereby ensuring the availability of fit for purpose and value for money products that can benefit children around the world.
The office requires a person with thorough understand of technology based innovation combined with high level of ability to communicate things through words and graphics. Most of the communication required will be of technical character, meaning an understanding of innovation processes and of innovative technologies is needed. In addition, understanding of the area UNICEF operates is of significant advantage.
The consultant will manage communication activities of the Innovation Unit to internal and external audiences. In addition, the consultant will drive a number of product innovation projects through phases of scoping, field trialling and scaling up. All work will be done in close collaboration with different UNICEF offices as well as with external collaborators.
The purpose of this full-time consultancy is to support SD Innovation Unit in the area product innovation and communication.
Main Duties/ Responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the Supply Specialist (Innovation), the Innovation Project and Communication Consultant’s duties and responsibilities will be split into two areas:
- Product Innovation Projects: The consultant will drive a range of Product Innovation Projects that improve UNICEF’s programmatic activities.
- Communication: The consultant will manage communication projects and activities, including a substantial amount of writing, editing and lay-out work to share knowledge, lessons learned and best practices associated with product innovation to both internal and external audiences. The consultant will work in a team in order to complete communication projects. For a comprehensive description and delegation of tasks see Annex 1.
Product innovation projects (40% time allocation)
- Management of product innovation projects (e.g. user instructions, packaging etc.) Travel may be required.
- Scope and drive work in close collaboration with technical experts.
- Plan, carry our and document methodology and lessons learned regarding various steps of the project
- Any other activities as requested by reporting officer.
Communication (60% time allocation)
- Web communications.
- Ensure coordination with UNICEF Innovation Unit (New York) web communications team.
- Manage all communication to Supply Community through UNICEF Supply intranet.
- Create and implement workflow for responding to external requests (emails) related to product innovation.
- Communications Strategy.
- Update and implement activities in line with the communication strategy.
- Create and implement annual planned communication activities for the SD Innovation Unit, including preparing a substantial amount of presentations and documents.
- Coordinate communication activities with SD’s Knowledge, Systems and Sharing Unit (KSSU).
- Create quarterly report on communication activities
- Coordinate with KSSU and UNICEF Innovation Unit (New York) on reporting SD Innovation Unit achievements in Annual Reports.
- Proof reading and editorial.
- Proof reading and editing blogs, documents, reports and publications created by the SD Innovation Unit and project teams for final approval by SD Directors Office.
- Any other activities as requested by reporting officer.
The successful candidate shall have:
- Professional and relevant work experience in areas of communication and management of product innovation projects for developing regions.
- Master Degree in Product Design/Engineering/Innovation/Communication/Entrepreneurship or another relevant discipline.
- Proven high-level ability to communicate both through words and graphics.
- Ability to reflect and challenge colleagues at different levels through assertive argumentation.
- Knowledge of the environment UNICEF operates, and understanding of the constraints of working in difficult geographical locations.
The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate the following competencies that are considered to be necessary to this consultancy:
- Excellent communicator of verbal and written concepts to an international audiences.
- Ability to quickly understand instructions, to proactively seek clarification when needed.
- Able to work well in a team environment.
- Able to work independently and problem solving oriented.
- Able to work in a multi-cultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships.
- Demonstrated communication and relationship building skills.
- Proven capacity to work with and lead collaborative teams across different locations and with different technical skills.
- Proven experience in project management of product innovation.
- Knowledge of application of innovative technologies in developing regions.
- The post requires awareness of current trends and innovation in terms of technologies for UNICEF’s programmatic areas.
- Experience in budgeting and managing large scale projects.
- High level of experience in Adobe desktop publishing software (Photoshop, Illustrator etc.)
- Knowledge of web CMS systems (Drupal, WordPress, Red dot etc.)
- Knowledge of standard MS Office applications (MS Access, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
Fluency in written and spoken English is essential and in another UN language is an advantage.
Duration: 11 months Consultancy, full-time.
Location: UNICEF Supply Division, Copenhagen, Denmark.
Start Date: January 2015
Reporting to: Supply Specialist, UNICEF Supply Division, Copenhagen.
Qualified candidates are requested to submit:
- Cover letter/application.
- Financial quote for consultancy at a monthly rate in US Dollars.
- Examples of previous, relevant work.
- P 11 form (which can be downloaded from our website at http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/index_53129.html).
Applications are to be sent to: email@example.com with subject line “Innovation Project and Communication Consultant” by 21 December 2014, 23:59 CET.
Please indicate your availability and monthly rate to undertake the Terms of Reference above.