Title: UReport Global Strategist and Coordinator
Contract:Temporary Appointment (TA)
Post level: P-4
Duration: 364 Days
Duty Station: New York, United States
Reporting to: Director, Global Innovation Centre
Since 2007 UNICEF has been a global leader in leveraging technology to advance development goals. Initially a small team within the Division of Communications, Innovation work at UNICEF currently exists as a highly distributed network of labs, designers, developers, program managers, academics and private-sector partners. One of the most successful initiatives to come out of the unit to date is the youth-led social monitoring platform UReport.
UReport is a youth-facing mobile engagement initiative led by UNICEF in partnership with local youth organizations, to amplify the voices of young people and empower them to speak out about the issues that matter most to them. Through the platform, UReporters can voice their opinions about what is happening in their communities and work together with leaders at the community and national level for positive social change.
In Uganda, UReport has already linked over 260,000 youth and their government – prompting policy changes in as short as six weeks. In Nigeria, a rapidly growing base of UReporters have been voicing their thoughts on health and economic related issues – becoming a key group of social mobilizers in the effort to raise awareness about the Ebola epidemic. In Zambia, youth can access valuable sexual and reproductive health information, as well as connect to confidential counseling.
UReport is SMS (text message)based, and is designed to be a nationally scalable. It is already active in 9 countries and numerous other countries and global partners (including World Organization of the Scout Movement-WOSM, World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts-WAGGS, and Red Cross/Red Crescent) have expressed interest in joining. With the September 2014 launch of the RapidPro platform, UReport can now be quickly deployed, and a rapid growth trajectory is probable.
Pending new partnerships with social networking/communication platforms like Twitter and WhatsApp will also grow UReport’s reach and sustainability.
In sum, this points to an enormous amount of work and strategic guidance needed for UNICEF and the brand and product of UReport to meet these ambitious goals, while keeping UNICEF’s programmatic needs and focus on sustainability in mind.
PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
To provide overall coordination and guide the direction of UReport globally and on a country level, as well as guiding the global brand and the development of the product.
- Coordinate U-report development, planning and implementation across UNICEF country offices
- Work with global NGOs, beginning with the Scouts, to plan and roll out UReport across multiple countries.
- Work with the RapidPro development team on deployment, features and use of RapidPro with in UReport.
- Coordinate with local (country level) project managers in U-report engagements, including marketing, scaling, communications, partnership needs etc.
- Identify and partner with like-minded initiatives such as MyWorld for greater integration and sharing of contacts to increase user-base.
- Define and plan product roadmap for new UReport features with RapidPro product and engineering teams.
- Develop global branding guidelines and initiatives around UReport for UNICEF Country Office adoption.
- Work with private partnerships team on potential integrations with other communication platforms e.g. Twitter, WhatsApp
- Work to recruit additional global NGO partners for ownership/adoption of UReport technology and functionality.
- Support UNICEF programme initiatives and work with UNICEF section personnel to devise community-based programme feedback loops
- Identify funding opportunities and work with NatComs where necessary to attract sponsorship.
- Lead training of trainers on the system for global roll-out.
- Assess current status where UReport already exists and advise on addressing any existing challenges.
- Coordinate regional and global SMS communication efforts that may require use of multiple country UReport tools
- Coordination and global dissemination of lessons learned from pre-existing UReport launches and engagements.
Reporting to the Director, Global Innovation Centre, in Nairobi, the incumbent will work closely with the Innovation Unit New York, Innovation Node San Francisco and the Global Innovation Lab Uganda.
The assignment is office-based in New York, with frequent international travel.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES required to perform the duties of the assignment
- Master’s degree, ideally in communications, journalism, international development, or a related field.
- At least 8 years of project management experience with heavy communications focus.
- Proven experience working at all levels of project deployment and at all points of a project life-cycle
- Proven experience providing high-level strategic guidance to large organizations or companies.
- Experience serving as a strong team lead, able to remotely manage technology and communication-driven initiatives and projects with diverse stakeholders.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills with experience in consensus building and in motivating cross-functional teams to meet ambitious project goals and timelines;
- Strong background in digital platforms, SMS technologies, open-source projects and knowledge of technical infrastructure in developing countries. Experience in creating or managing content and communications materials for engaging young people is a strong plus
- Experience with website usability/mobile website usability is a strong plus
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships;
- A history of working with local NGOs and managing multiple stakeholders
- Ability to travel internationally, at short notice and occasionally to remote locations;
- Fluency in written and verbal English is essential; competence in one other UN language is preferred;
- Past work experience with UNICEF and in particular UNICEF Country Offices is advantageous
- Experience working on a UReport program, and partnership strategy and management experience a plus.
- Communicates effectively to varied audiences, including during formal public speaking
- Able to work effectively in a multi-cultural, multi-country environment
- Sets high standards for quality of work and consistently achieves project goals
- Has good leadership and supervisory skills; co-ordinates group activities, ensuring that roles within the team are clear
- Translates strategic direction into plans and objectives
- Analyzes and integrates diverse and complex quantitative and qualitative data from a wide range of sources
- Quickly builds rapport with individuals and groups; maintains an effective network of individuals across organizations
- Identifies urgent and potentially difficult decisions and acts on them promptly; initiates and generates team- and department-wide activities
- Demonstrates, applies and shares expert technical knowledge across the organization
HOW TO APPLY
Interested and suitable candidates should send their applications, including Cover letter, P-11 personal history form, CV and copies of their last two Performance Evaluation Reports (where applicable) to: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com on or before 26 October 2014. Applicants must clearly indicate the position applied for and use this order to name file attachments: Firstname_Lastname followed by document e.g. Gold_Mukasa_P11 or Gold_Mukasa_CV or Gold_Mukasa_CoverLetter. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.